Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unmountable boot volume

• Please log in to reply

killspawn

killspawn

• Pip
  • 2 posts
when i start my computer it starts to load windows and the blue screen pops up.
error message was unmountable boot volume. it says to remove and newly installed software and etc how do i fix this from happening or whats wrong???

Advertisements

Pri3st

Pri3st

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Technically this should be in the windows forum but whatever. I've had this happen to me before it sounds like your boot sector is jacked up. If you have a windows xp installation cd you can easily fix this.

When you first boot up your computer press F8 (or delete, or just try all the f keys until something happens) this will take you to your system bios settings.

Once there you should navigate to the section that list your boot device order, make sure "cd-rom" is first.

Put the installation cd in the drive then save and exit. Once your comupter starts up just press any key to boot from the cd then make sure to pay attention to the screen and press r to go to the recovery console when it prompts you to do so.

Once at the prompt type chkdsk /p then reboot and let windows load. If it doesn't work then try chkdsk /r at the prompt and if THAT doesn't work try "fixboot".

One of these should solve your problem. :tazz:

Edited by Pri3st, 12 August 2005 - 10:00 AM.