Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

system files missing

• Please log in to reply

sk8ingchocobo

sk8ingchocobo

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
i know that my mum "kindly deleting viruses" has deleted alot of my system files i'm not sure which ones but when i turn on the computer i can't do anything as the computer says cannot find win.com i know i need to reinstall windows 98 but can't as i don't know the password to enter the setup and i've tried downloading a boot disk and that didn't work either is my pc condemmed or is there any way of rescuing it thanks Ian

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Boot the PC and keep tapping the del key until it enters set up

sk8ingchocobo

sk8ingchocobo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
i can enter the setup the problem i have is that to change any settings in the setup requires a password which i don't know which i think is the bulk of the problem thanks anyway though

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Sorry, I was hoping there wasn't one, you could try leaving the password box empty and then press enter, if one wasn't set it will let you in.

sk8ingchocobo

sk8ingchocobo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
i've tried that i know my mum changed it from what the pasword it came with in the manual when she tried to install a modem but she can't remember what she changed it to

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Post a new topic, this one might get overlooked as it has had replies

Call it lost set up password or whatever

sk8ingchocobo

sk8ingchocobo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts