Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

please suggest

• Please log in to reply

mjcaluza

mjcaluza

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
:) i'm happy for the reply of our moderators and to all geeks, but i need your expertise again please? our computer is a family computer which all of the people in the family is using it, even my my 4 year old sister is using it for internet, hehehehe, but the thing is i have rebooted our computer for almost 8 times due to virus and it does bugs me a lot, so i want the proper antivirus which suits the whole family the only common in us is we are of fun on file sharing, so we dont mind spending the top quality anti virus in the market if that would take us from there because all of us are contributing anyway so please suggest the,

BEST ANTI VIRUS ;) , QUALITY ANTI VIRUS :( AND TOP OF THE CLASS ANTI VIRUS :tazz:

TO ALL GEEKS OUT THERE THANKS!!!!

Advertisements

clovely81

clovely81

• Pip
  • 6 posts
The best antivirus in my opinion is AVG. They have a free edition that is just about as good as the paid version, only difference is that you have to manually update and scan. The website is http://www.grisoft.com for the regular one and http://free.grisoft.com for the free version.

mjcaluza

mjcaluza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
THANKS, for that fast reply, i appreciate it, but its not that i don't trust AVG, its that we are willing to spend on the antivirus so i'd rather go for the top of the class and super duper quality protection of our PC, i hope i did'nt offend you though, thanks.

clovely81

clovely81

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Actually, I used to use Norton and never had a virus problem (so I thought) but after installing AVG, it found 14 viruses that Norton never detected. It's great that you are willing to spend the money, but it isn't always necessary. :tazz: Also, if you are using Windows XP or 2000, I would highly suggest installing the Microsoft Anti-spyware program. Between the two of those, I have never had any virus or spyware problems.

mjcaluza

mjcaluza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
i used to use norton but it just hanged on me, everytime you scan you pc, it takes ages to scan, i've heard rumors about the best anti virus but i's better to ask the exprienced ones isnt it? so your suggestion is really AVG? :tazz:

clovely81

clovely81

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Yeah, AVG is definitly my pick, hopefully some staff members and other geeks will come in and give their suggestions. AVG does take a while to scan, so I would suggest scanning before you go to bed or leave the house for a while.

Steamhead

Steamhead

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 519 posts
AVG would be my pick too.

I spent about 50 dollars at wal-mart on anti-virus programs that were so bad, AVG detected 10,000 (yes 10,000...no joke...*worm*) infections that the one i bought did not....

dyserq

dyserq

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I personally also use avg and i find it to be an excellent alternative to the products in which you have to pay
It is thorough and efficient and performs extremely well

itsjustme99

itsjustme99

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
yeah im installing AVG also after having alot of trouble with NORTON Anti-Virus...it seems to be the favourite around here...not many complaints

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
geeeeekinessssss :tazz:

I actually don't like AVG

*whispers* mcafee

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
I use Avast, i've been using it for over a year and i've not had an infection yet. Best bit is it's free!

bruntyblue

bruntyblue

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi, if you are willing to pay I have found that the Nod32 anti-virus software by Eset to be excellent. It has been rated at 100% for detection of viruses in the wild for the last 4 or 5 years by the Virus Bulletin magazine. It is available as a trial version or for a paid version ay www.nod32.com I have personally used this program for 3 years and have never had an infection, this is also one of the fastest scanning engines I have found.

ukbiker

ukbiker

Rest in Peace, ukbiker

• Retired Staff
  • 2,014 posts
Hi there

while AVG and Avast are excellent free applications, as you are willing to pay for AV protection, Nod32 is an excellent AV and superior to AVG or Avast. The other Top Of The Line product you should consider are from Kaspersky. They have two products yhat would meet your needs, their Personal Edition AV and their Security Suite (which includes other modules such as a firewall etc). They can be found HERE. There is the option with the AV app to have trial period too.