Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

lost setup password

• Please log in to reply

sk8ingchocobo

sk8ingchocobo

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
is there any way to retrieve the system setup password without entering windows as my mum changed it when she tried to install a modem 2-3 years ago and can't remember what she changed it to and has now deleted important system files meaning i need to reinstall windows 98 and can't enter either the setup or windows itself

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If there is a password in the BIOS or power management part of setup you can remove it by taking out the CMOS battery, about the size of a nickel, for a few minutes and putting it back in. You may have to go into setup and reset the BIOS defaults afterward. If there is a Windows password you can remove it by deleting the password log, filetype .pwl in the Windows folder. You may have to do that in ms-dos which is a little tricky and has a learning curve.

sk8ingchocobo

sk8ingchocobo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
ok thanks very much i'll give taking out the battery a go