Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Video RAM

• Please log in to reply

adgo82

adgo82

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Good Morning,
I was wondering if someone can explain to me Video RAM. I saw a setting in the BIOS where I can change it. Right now it is on 64MB. What would happen if I lower it to 32MB? Would my PC run faster? Would my auido/video run slower?

I am not a gamer thus I think I dont need all that much video RAM.
Any ideas? :tazz:

Advertisements

woody1977

woody1977

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
If it is an intergrated graphics card, then yes if you lowered the RAM it uses, it will give your system extra RAM to use elsewhere, whether it will make your pc any faster is a different matter. I did this, and it didn't make that much difference, but it was noticeable. I suggest if you want to make it faster, buy yourself some more RAM, double what you have in there, very cheap, get some Samsung RAM, very good and cheap.

cheers woody

adgo82

adgo82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Thanks! I will sure lower it next time I reboot. I already doubled my memore i had 512 and i went to 1 gig of ram. Its faster but not as fast as i would have expected. Do you know if there is a difference between PC2100 and PC2700?
My system came with PC2700 but I instaled PC2100, is performance being sacrificed?

lt b0ngo

lt b0ngo

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Yeh sounds like it. PC2700 is quicker then PC2100 and PC3200 is quicker then both of them. I would check to see what your computer supports because for example my motherboard doesn't support higher then PC2100 so there's no point buying PC2700 because it wouldn't run quicker.

adgo82

adgo82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Do you know how can I verify if my PC supports PC2700 or PC2100??

woody1977

woody1977

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Yeah click here

put in where prompted what pc you have, and it will direct you to what Ram is supported in your pc. You should really stick to the same RAM you already have in, does your pc recognise all your RAM?? cos with a gig of RAM your pc really should be quick. If you feel you are having performance problems, goto the malware forum, and click on the thread entitled you must read this ....., have a go at what it says in there, this will get rid of 70% of nasties, then post a Hijack this log in THAT forum, not here. If you have a clean bill of health post back in here.

Cheers woody