Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cant Boot From Cdrom drive

• Please log in to reply

Techiprivate

Techiprivate

• Pip
  • 3 posts
i cant boot from my cdrom drive it is not in the bios the only options are boot from floopy drive than harddrive or boot from harddrive than floppy drive.

Advertisements

0lah

0lah

• Pip
  • 4 posts
if you are running under windows XP, which i'm guessing you are, then check to see if your CD ROM driver wasn't accidently uninstalled. go to Start, Control Panel, System, then click on the Hardware tab, and then on Device Manager. Once in this you should be able to see your CD/DVD or just CD ROM driver. Look to see if any red X's are next to it or yellow "!" marks. if any of these are there, then you either...

1. need to reinstall the driver
2. update the driver
3. run a virus scan of your computer to make sure your driver wasn't infected.

let me know what's up.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Olah, I just responded to your CD drive post... did you fix your problem?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Is the CD drive on it's own IDE channel, or do you have it connected up on the same channel as the hard drive?

Did the CD drive work before?

You can try resetting the bios to default settings, or remove the bios battery completely from the motherboard for a minute or so to reset the bios.

If that doesn't work, try swapping the IDE cable if you have one.

Techiprivate

Techiprivate

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
olah thanks for the help im going to try all those first as soon as it works or does not work i will pm you or post back on this forum also thank you also makia i dont know how to do any of those things i dont know were they located or how to check if it sperated from the harddrive or not basicly i know basic knowledge of hardware
i only know how to reset defualt settings that it is but what does the bios battery look like and is that ansrew to my question or his?

Edited by Techiprivate, 12 August 2005 - 01:53 PM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
The bios battery looks about the size of a nickel. It's the flat battery type you see in watches, calculators and such. Just shut down the computer... BE SURE TO PULL THE AC PLUG OUT ALSO... take the bios battery out and leave it out for a minute or so.... make sure you look at it before you pull it out so you know how to put it back in... this is a battery so it does have + and -.

After you put the battery back in, restart the computer and get into bios. Check to see if you can change the boot order.

Techiprivate

Techiprivate

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
great i just broke the clip on the bios battery and now my computer is reading no os and dead system battery meaning i broke the postive clip the one that holds the bios battery in cause i did not know how to take it out propertly cause it was stuck in there so i wedge i flat head screw driver and try to pry it out stupid yes i know we all make mistakes no what do i have to get and intirly new mother board ....i started out with a little problem no i got a big problem cause i can even use that computer now..is there anyway i can fix it solder it back on or anything

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Sorry to hear that! No, I doubt you can solder it back because I think it's chrome-moly, but it's worth a try. You should be able to do something to save the motherboard... find a battery adapter at an electronics store, wire it in, something. Really sorry to hear that happened.

0lah

0lah

• Pip
  • 4 posts

if you are running under windows XP, which i'm guessing you are, then check to see if your CD ROM driver wasn't accidently uninstalled. go to Start, Control Panel, System, then click on the Hardware tab, and then on Device Manager. Once in this you should be able to see your CD/DVD or just CD ROM driver. Look to see if any red X's are next to it or yellow "!" marks. if any of these are there, then you either...

1. need to reinstall the driver
2. update the driver
3. run a virus scan of your computer to make sure your driver wasn't infected.

let me know what's up.

View Post

yeah it was fixed. sorry...been really busy. thanks for everything.