Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Another guy building a PC...

• Please log in to reply

Trey27

Trey27

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey everyone how you guys doin. Ok I gotta ask you peeps something. I am building a PC online on a very VERY tight budget of around 650 bucks and was wondering if you all could tell me if it could run any of the recent games out there (namely battlefront).. Mind you I don't need to run at high resolution, just enough to know what's going on :tazz:

CPU : (754-pin) AMD ATHLON™64 3000+ CPU w/ Hyper Transport Technology
MOTHERBOARD : (754-pin Socket) eVGA nForce3 250 Chipset SATA RAID AGP8X w/GbLAN
MEMORY : 1024 MB (512MBx2)
HARD DRIVE : 120GB 7200 RPM ATA 100 HARD DRIVE
VIDEO CARD : ATI RADEON 9550 256MB DDR AGP

I know this is a lower end system but is this decent at all?

-Trey

Edited by Trey27, 11 August 2005 - 10:52 PM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well it would be ok. I would though aim for getting a 939 socket and a mforce 4 motherboard. As the upgrading options will be better and you wont be stuck with a AGP slot which card manufacturers no longer make cards for. You could get a x800GT if you get an nforce 4 its a cheapy version of the x800 they just released it might suit your system.

Trey27

Trey27

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
AH ok thx for your advice, I did change the motherboard to a nforce and I switched to a nvidia Geforce 6600, but I have two quick questions.

One, do you think I'll be in trouble with this slower amd 64 3000+ processor? Would it be a must for me to go up to the 3200?

Two, I read from a forum that an x800 is better than a geforce 6600, now my question is this. Is there that big of a difference that I should spend 50 extra bucks on it, cuz I am not too picky when it comes to graphics....

Thx for bearing with me on this

-Trey

Edited by Trey27, 12 August 2005 - 01:10 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
No i dont think you would notice all that much with the 3000+ especially since it is a good overclocker, make sure you get venice core by the way. There is a big differnce between 6600 and x800 its farely noticable a x800 will run the newest games at high the 6600 will only manage medium to high. If you arent picky then im sure the 6600 will do fine.

Trey27

Trey27

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey thx for the help man I appreciate it. :tazz:

-Trey

liquid_impulse

liquid_impulse

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Hey everyone how you guys doin. Ok I gotta ask you peeps something. I am building a PC online on a very VERY tight budget of around 650 bucks and was wondering if you all could tell me if it could run any of the recent games out there (namely battlefront).. Mind you I don't need to run at high resolution, just enough to know what's going on  :tazz:

CPU : (754-pin) AMD ATHLON™64 3000+ CPU w/ Hyper Transport Technology
MOTHERBOARD : (754-pin Socket) eVGA nForce3 250 Chipset SATA RAID AGP8X w/GbLAN
MEMORY : 1024 MB (512MBx2)
HARD DRIVE : 120GB 7200 RPM ATA 100 HARD DRIVE
VIDEO CARD : ATI RADEON 9550 256MB DDR AGP

I know this is a lower end system but is this decent at all?

-Trey

View Post

what website did u use to build your pc?