Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD and DVD Drivers not working

• Please log in to reply

0lah

0lah

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Okay...I think I have read as many posts on this as possible. Tried all of the ideas posted and nothing changed. My CD and DVD ROM drives work, but when I place a cd in nothing happens. And also they are not showing up in my computer. I went to control panel and to device manager and both drivers have a yellow "!" beside them. I have uninstalled both and rebooted and reinstalled them, and even updated both and to no prevail. They both still have the yellow "!" by them. Also virus scans come back clean. I was looking to reformat my computer but need one of these drivers to work so it can be done. Please if any ideas arise let me know. Thanks a lot. You guys are great!!!!

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Do they show up in bios? Enter bios by repeatedly hitting the delete, F1 or F10 key as the computer boots... do this before windows launches.

I don't know your system specs, nor what bios you are using, but If they don't show up, reset the bios to defaults, either by finding the option in one of the menus, or by totally shutting down your computer... REMOVE THE AC PLUG... then remove the bios battery on the motherboard for a minute or so.

After that, restart your computer, go back into bios, and see if bios sees your CD drives.

Another thing you can try is to change the IDE cable that connects the drives.

NOTE... Whenever working inside the computer case, you must ALWAYS remove the AC PLUG from the computer, and discharge yourself of static electricity by touching a bare metal area on the computer case. If you have a static strap, use it, but only when there is no power to the computer.

0lah

0lah

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
i was able to fix it. i downloaded a virus protection trial version and just scanned my bootable discs and a virus somehow infected the boot options. but all good now. got drives working and reformatted to delete any other problems. thanks again.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Why did you download a trial version of an anti virus to scan your computer? Don't you have one permanently installed? What will you do after the trial period? If you don't have a good, updated anti virus you can expect serious problems.

If you want an excellent, free of charge software download AVG Free.