Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Auto-Detecting Pri Master...Press<F4> to Abort

• Please log in to reply

tedyboy

tedyboy

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Please can anyone help, when I switched my computer on, after it had been off for a couple of months it will not bootup.
It gives me the message Auto-Detecting Pri Master...Press<F4> to Abort. but nothing happens when I do press Abort so I have to switch it off manualy.

I am new to computing so any help would be very helpful,a step by step run though would be ideal. The O/S is Win98.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Edited by tedyboy, 12 August 2005 - 03:37 AM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Don't press anything while it boots to the desktop, or does it freeze at this screen,

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I would start by making sure the cables to the hard drive are properly seated at the drive and the mother board. Wiggle them a little and press them firmly in.

tedyboy

tedyboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi Keith

I have left my PC runing but it will not move past Auto Detecting Pri Master. and yes it does freeze at the first srceen.

I have made sure that all the ribbon cables are in place but it still wont BOOTUP.

Edited by tedyboy, 15 August 2005 - 04:49 AM.

tedyboy

tedyboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi Tiger

Have tried what you said but no luck, all the cables are in place

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
To eliminate a couple of things, boot the PC and keep tapping F8 right after the beep until you get options, select command prompt only, type scanreg.exe /fix then press enter, it will run through a few screens then say registry repaired. Press enter then press ctrl + alt + delete keys together to reboot.

When it has loaded, click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools, system information, tools then run system file checker and replace any files it asks for from the 98SE CD.

Running these checks the registry and files for Windows are in place.

tedyboy

tedyboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi Keith

I tried preesing F8 but it made no differance, seems to to be frozen stiff. it still comes up with Auto Detecting Pri Master Press <F4> to Abort

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can try tapping F5 make sure you do tap rather than press and hold

See how you get on with this

http://www.geekstogo...98-95-t479.html

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If you put your hand on it can you feel the vibration of it turning?

It's starting to sound like the hdd bearings may have frozen. I wouldn't ordinarily reccomend this but you might want to take it out and shake it in a circular fashion to loosen the bearings up a bit.

tedyboy

tedyboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
HI KEITH

I tried pressing the F5 button still nothing happens, a friend of mine lent me a hard drive to try but it did exactly the same...Auto Detecting.....

On the first screen it says press the TAB to enter the POST screen which I did but after a few seconds it goes to the Auto Detecting again, I noticed that the green light on the floppy drive stays on while it is trying to boot, is this any help to you...

I realy am grateful for all your help...

Edited by tedyboy, 19 August 2005 - 03:08 AM.

tedyboy

tedyboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
HI TIGER,

I did what you said, I can feel the drive is turning, I tried a differant Hard Drive but it came up with the same message, Auto Detecting.....

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Why do we have xp and 2000 in the 98 me forum :whistling:

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
When you start the computer it should give you information on how to enter the bios by pushing the F2 or DEL or some other key. Can you see which one lets you in to the bios?

Chirag64

Chirag64

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
hey, I am using Windows XP and i have the exact same problem. It does not detect the pri master(whatever that is) or anything else and pressing F2, F5, F6, F8 or F11, doesnt help at all. Afterwards, it asks me to insert a boot disk in A:. I tried inserting Windows XP CD, it says boot cd detected, but doesnt boot and freezes. Please help. I think my motherboard is at fault, but i want to make sure before i buy a new 1 :)

silq

silq

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have solved the problem was due to a CD-ROM that was supplied with power from the electrical outlet, cable was only wide. I removed the cable lat and ready
Finally check to not have other devices in the PC that are not supplied with current