Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics card upgrade advise

• Please log in to reply

magneto_ms

magneto_ms

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi here are my system specs

p4 1.8ghz
256mb ddr,
geforce 4mx 440 64mb

i want to currently upgrade my graphics card. I also need a good tv card so that i am able to view tv on my computer. (i also need to record some programs as well as hook my computers display to my TV) A friend suggested me the the ATI All in wonder cards which do all this. I would preferably want a model that is reasonably cheaper too. Should i go for the AIW 9600XT model?

I am also very much confused with the compatiblity issues. I would like to know if there is any problem if i use this card now. Also i would like to know if i would get a decent enough performance( my processor is slow) if i add another 512mb RAM(i heard somewhere that if the 2 rams are of different sizes it could be a problem). also i am worried about the compatiblity with the processor.

I am posting my Everest report file too along with this..

thanx in advance...

Attached Files

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Here is what to do, go onto the crucial website and they have a tool which will tell you the best memory you can get for your system. You have an AGP x4 slot so this is good not the best as it is only a x4 slot but you cant have everything. Mixing two speeds of memory is usually fine but the faster memory slows down to match the slower stuff.

magneto_ms

magneto_ms

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
it suggests the following for me..
"
Important! The Crucial System Scanner has determined that you only have one empty memory slot available for an upgrade. To maximize the performance of your system, consider purchasing the largest compatible upgrade your computer will support. Simply subtract the amount of memory currently installed from your computer's maximum memory capacity. This will give you the module size (number of megabytes) that we recommend. Just make sure you don't exceed the maximum amount of megabytes your computer can handle.

Crucial recommends this 184-pin DIMM DDR PC2100 module guaranteed to be compatible with your system and deliver the performance you need.
"
So if i have 2 512 mb rams then it should give good performance..?
also..need advice regarding the tuner card..
thanx.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Right two 512mb sticks of ram would give you a fair boost in performance. Tv tuner cards i am not to familiar with the all in wonder read some reviews on them i might take a look at some reviews. You can get lots of PCI tv tuner cards compro and haupage are the main companies. You can though use a USB tv tuner box which for most people are easier to use.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
If you get a tv tuner card make shure its compatible with windows xp which is your operating system. If you get a tuner card that only supports windows 98 ,me/2000 it wont work in a xp computer.

magneto_ms

magneto_ms

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
thanx for the help..

But i was just wondering if i go for a pure graphics upgrade(not tv) then what is the best card i can fit in my system. i am not sure about this 4x 8x agp thing. i have posted my everest file here, can u tell me if i can fix a x600xt for my system.?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well you are have a AGP4x slot which is the slower speed and it means a realy fast card would be wasted as the slot would bottleneck it.
http://www.overclock...800_Series.html although there might be a slight bottleneck and i dont know what country you are in but that will show you the name and specs.

magneto_ms

magneto_ms

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
thanx..will check it out...