Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't install windows due to blue screen of death

• Please log in to reply

mattymc

mattymc

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi.
I am trying to install xp on my computer. It gets up to the the "starting windows setup" screen after detecting all the hardware, etc, just before the screen where you choose to repair or fresh install windows. It holds on the "starting windows setup" screen for a while then goes to the blue screen of death saying that there is a hardware conflict. We have tried using different cd roms, different hdd's, made sure the partition is active, tried different xp setup disks along with wind 2000. Same errors all the time. Please help me out.
regards mattymc

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Can u mention the exact BSoD (blue screen of death) code.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Since you say this is happening with XP and Win2K, it could very well be a true hardware conflict.

You will probably have more success if you strip the computer down to bare minimums before trying to load the OS.

Remove all other devices except the following and try going through the Install again.
Power supply
Hard drive
CDrom
Motherboard/with CPU
1 ram module
Video card
Mouse
Keyboard

If it still fails, try swapping out the IDE cables with different ones... swap one at a time so you can isolate a possible bad cable.