Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Cannot find server error

• Please log in to reply

mykel99945

mykel99945

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi,
I'm having trouble browsing on a few sites on the internet. On sites such as hotmail, netflix and pncbank.com I can't log in. I cna access these sites and browse all over them. But when I go to the login screen, I type my username and password, and then hit login and it immediately goes to the cannot find server page in IE or gives me the alert in firefox "Cannot contact netflix.com" or which ever site I'm trying to get to. I posted my hijack this log in the appropriate thread and was directed here after trying a few suggestions in that area. thanks Mike

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Is the problem only with websites that want u to login, or all websites?

mykel99945

mykel99945

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
It is just for websites I want to log in to. And it isn't all websites, for example I can log into this website and many other ones, but certain sites like hotmail and netflix I can't. This just started about a week ago, prior to that I could log in to them. thanks! Mike

oftenwrong

oftenwrong

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Do you only receive this error on SSL sites? (Sites that produce a padlock) If so, the easiest way to fix it would be to goto www.microsoft.com and download the 128 bit high encryption pack. This will fix any corrupt certificates or files on your system.

sprout

sprout

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
are you using any firewall (software or hardware)?

mykel99945

mykel99945

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hello,

No I don't have any firewall running, atleast not that I know. Windows and nortons are both turned off. I think it does have something to do with the SSl (I did check to make sure that was turned on in internet options). I went to microsoft to download the pack, but I the most recent one I could find was for windows 2000. I did try using that one, but it didn't work. Thanks for everyone's help. Mike

oftenwrong

oftenwrong

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
What operating system do you have?

Was this the one you downloaded?

http://www.microsoft...&DisplayLang=en

Edited by oftenwrong, 12 August 2005 - 01:07 PM.

mykel99945

mykel99945

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I'm using XP home and yes I downloaded that one. The 190 kb non Admin one. Mike

oftenwrong

oftenwrong

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I had the same problem in Windows 2000 and I tried reinstalling I.E 6 and that didn't work. The encryption pack did the trick. For Windows Xp, you may have to reinstall Service Pack 2. Before reinstalling anything though, try going into tools / options / security and reset to default level and try again.

mykel99945

mykel99945

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I couldn't figure out how to reinstall IE. I tried following directions I found on this site to right click ie.inf and choose install, but when I do that it says it needs to find IEXPLORE.EXE on Service Pack 2 CD 2 or something like that, and since I got the service pack online I don't have any cds. I'll try reinstalling the service packs. Thanks! Mike

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Enter the following path when asked for SP2 CD and u dont have one:
C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386
(where c: is the partition where Xp is installed)

mykel99945

mykel99945

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
thanks, I was able to reinstall IE, unfortunetly it did not fix the problem. I went to microsoft to try to reinstall service pack 2. I had to go through windows updater and it gave me an unable to contact server error when trying to check for updates. I don't know if the error is related to the overall problem. I also tried uninstalling service pack 2 so I could start over with reinstalling that, but after coming back IE wouldn't load any webpages (firefox still would but I couldn't reinstall the service pack from there). So I restored back to earlier today. Can anyone tell me how to reinstall service pack 2? thanks! Mike

oftenwrong

oftenwrong

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Here ya go. Good luck!

http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

mykel99945

mykel99945

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks for the link, I reinstalled it, but no luck. Thanks for you the suggestions. Mike

oftenwrong

oftenwrong

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hmmm. We may have to look into other causes. Try following all of these steps for resolution:

http://www.duxcw.com...n/xp/secure.htm

Let me know if this works.