Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with missing symantec file

• Please log in to reply

Renegade

Renegade

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
My girlfriend computer is bought by packard bell and they only sent a recovery cd to install the system from (old computer, windows 98). When we installed the system we saw that there was a really old version of norton installed. I wanted to delete it, to install a new version, and so I did.

Now I have the problem that my computer, during bootup, says that windows registation or system.ini refers to the file C:\program\Symantec\symevnt.386 and it can't be found.

I know that I erased it. What can I do to get rid of this message?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Try the easiest location first:
1. Open in Notepad the SYSTEM.INI file (C:\Windows\system.ini).
2. Scroll through it carefully and if you see any reference to 'symevent.386' file, delete that whole line. Then close the file but you must say YES when asked if you want to save the changes.

If the file is not mentioned in there at all, then it must be referenced in the Registry.
Because messing in the Registry can break Windows if you accidentally delete or change the wrong thing, I'm going to suggest a free utility which will automatically remove 'redundant' or obsolete entries from the Registry. It's called 'RegSupreme' and it's here:
http://www.webmaster...regcleaner.html
I use it every week and it's never caused me any problems.

You should run the Registry Cleaner module of RegSupreme two or three times in a row
in case it misses something the first time round.

Edited by pip22, 12 August 2005 - 09:01 AM.

Renegade

Renegade

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Now I have tried both and it still isn't right. Are there any more solutions? If not thanks for your help I am thankful that you took your time to try to help me.