Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Reset XP=missing basic stuff

• Please log in to reply

kktoot

kktoot

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I had a vicious trojan on my laptop that forced me to have someone reset the whole computer and start fresh. This worked wonderfully-- when I turned on the computer it was like I had a brand new laptop! However, now my wireless port and my USB ports don't work right. The computer does not recognize when I plug in my wireless card, iPod, printer cable, or flash drive. My device manager does not show these things as being installed or recognized. I made sure that all the appropriate software was installed for each device (ipod, wireless, etc.) and i have been running regular windows updates, but no luck. Is what I am missing on the "drivers and devices" cd that came with the comp.? I've put those in and nothing happens; I think that the person who reset the computer ran those. I have no idea what i am doing... I just want to be able to get this stuff up and running again and for a cheap price (poor college kid here).

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Could be Service Pack 1 (SP1) is now missing and has to be re-installed. You don't usually need the drivers CD when you've done a full factory reset - the original drivers should be automatically included when you run the reset /recovery process. You only need the driver CD if a particular device stops working and you think it may be the driver needs re-installing.However, a printer has it's own driver CD which you need to install yourself before the printer will work. As for the other devices, first check to see if SP1 is present:
1. Open Control Panel (Classic view)
2. Double-click 'System'.
3. If you don't see "Service Pack 1" or "Service Pack 2" then you need to install one of them. I recommend SP1 because SP2 is known to introduce as many problems as it solves. Provided you run a separate firewall and an up-to-date antivirus, SP1 is fine and it was introduced to (amongst other things) to give proper support for USB2 devices.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

Can you go into Device Manager and see what all in there has a yellow or red mark beside it??

Murray

XxDarkSatoshixX

XxDarkSatoshixX

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
who fixed ur computer?