Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win XP gone now WIN 95! HELP!

• Please log in to reply

junito

junito

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi I/m new here and my computer would not boot up recently and someone at home put it in the system restore cd and it would load it completely and now when you take it out and start up the computer it says booting up windows 95 HELP ME PLEASE!!!

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

Was the Restore cd they used for XP or was it the Restore cd that originally came with the system and you upgraded to XP??

Murray

junito

junito

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
That's what I don't know because the cd that I found it says for win xp and then i found another cd that said "Use this cd first". so I don't know what the heck is wrong. Please HELP ME AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
someone probably restored the machine to factory settings (probably 95 originally then changed to xp) if the cd that says XP is a full OS disk then you can just install XP from that disk thereby removing 95

junito

junito

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
that's what I thought and tried but nothing the disk wouldn't load

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
is y our bios set to boot from cd

junito

junito

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
thats the thing i have no idea what u r talking about lol

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
restart the computer...and when it comes up during POSt (before it get's to windows loading) there should be a message either up at the top or at the botton that says something like press del to enter setup. sometimes it says f2 or something like that...press that (you have to be fast enough to catch it so if y ou miss it try again) then look around in there for something to the effect of boot order....change it to CDrom then hdd save it and exit. put the cd in and restart...(or better yet...put the cd in before you try to set the bios...that way once y ou save the bios settings it will automatically come up and ask you if you want to boot from the cd)

junito

junito

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks Ill try that when I get home tonight. Right now I am work so i can't do that. I'll post if anything new happens. Thanks!