Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Do I need the XP pro logon screen?

• Please log in to reply

delawaredrew

delawaredrew

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
HI,
I'm trying to re-deploy a used XP pro comp (Dell Dimension GX260) for my mother and am hoping to get rid of the logon screen as I know she will forget any password she puts in. I do not have the admin password available as this comp came out of a disbanded company and I bought it used. I can logon as the previous user, and if need be I think I have the rights to make a new account but would love to just be rid of the logon screen altogether, since it is not necessary in this application.
Is this possible without the admin password? What happens if I disable the previous user, leaving only the admin account? Will I need the unknown admin password to log back on?
Finally, as a precaution, I guess I should create a new user (me) before I do anything?
Drew :tazz:

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Open Run by going to Start, Run. Type ‘control user passwords2’ without the single quotes in the Open box and hit OK.

If everything goes well, you will see a small window open that is titled User Accounts.

Uncheck the box which states 'Users must enter a username and password to use this computer' and apply the setting.

You will be requested for the username and password of the account you wish to have automatically logon. Put your mom's username and password in here.

If you later want to revert to having to enter logon id and password, follow the same steps but recheck the box. Note that you must be using an Administrator level account to open the user accounts mini window.

Murray

delawaredrew

delawaredrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Thanks for the response, sounds like that is exactly what I was looking for. I'll try it as soon as Avast and Spybot do their things. I didn't realize that the XP pro comp had a wireless USB adapter plugged in the back and it was connected to my network all night while unprotected and (according to Avast) was infected by a bunch of crap when I got back to it.
Drew

delawaredrew

delawaredrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
OK, here's an update:
The user name I've been using to logon is not in the local users and Groups list in the User Accounts part of the control panel. Furthermore, when I ask it to run "control user passwords2" nothing happens.
Right clicking the admin user name in that same menu offers the option of resetting the password for that user. It also warns of possible data loss if I proceed.
What do you think will happen if I do this?
I would consider wiping it clean but I do not (as of yet) have any XP Pro installation disks. When I run Belarc advisor it gives me a different product key than is on the sticker also.
A further complication is that it seems to be quite infected with win32-beagle.
I'll get more virus info from Hijack this soon.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
userpasswords2 should be one word.. Sorry about that!!

Lastly, please go to the malware forum in my signature and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

Murray

delawaredrew

delawaredrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Oh, I forgot to say that I am planning to try system restore and see if there is a point for yesterday prior to my allowing it to access the net unprotected.
Thanks,
Drew

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Good luck.. Let me know how it goes!!

Murray

delawaredrew

delawaredrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
OK, here's what is going on now:
I ran the control userpassowrds2 as directed and reset the admin password, but haven't yet logged on as the administrator, no option to remove logon, but I'll try again when/if I get admin rights. Still no explanation as to why the username I've been logging on as is not in then user lists, but I don't care. If I can get admin priviledges I will be a little better than now.
I'm running MS antispyware at the moment, but HiJack this definitely reported a win32 beagle problem. I checked the option to remove it, and although it has proven hard to dispose of on my XP home laptop, HJT doesn't see it now, so maybe I'm lucky this time. Next I'll run Ad aware with the options described, I had run a full scan earlier, but not with all the options you specified. Spybot did not see any beagle problem....same with AVG. I now have Zone Alarm, AVG, avast!, spybot, adaware, MS antispyware, HJT, and Spyware blaster installed and updated. I hope to have win32-bagel licked soon.
It's late here so more tomorrow.
You rock! Thanks for taking the time to help me.
Drew

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*

Howdy:

Open Run by going to Start, Run. Type ‘control user passwords2’ without the single quotes in the Open box and hit OK.

If everything goes well, you will see a small window open that is titled User Accounts.

Uncheck the box which states 'Users must enter a username and password to use this computer' and apply the setting.

You will be requested for the username and password of the account you wish to have automatically logon. Put your mom's username and password in here.

If you later want to revert to having to enter logon id and password, follow the same steps but recheck the box. Note that you must be using an Administrator level account to open the user accounts mini window.

Murray

View Post

Hey Murray S.

I also did that control userpasswords2 and now my computer login do what i want.... no logins... thank you heaps. I havealways wondering about how to do this

delawaredrew

delawaredrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
So far there is no option to disable the logon screen, there is an option to stop users from having to press ctrl-alt-delete prior to logging on, I'll see what that does later today, when I get more home time.
This was a corporate comp maybe there is a deeper admin option to remove this option? I don't know how to proceed from here on that problem.
The spyware problem is slowly getting solved, as different progs "fix" the malware they find. I still need to complete the ad-aware scan.
Thanks,
Drew

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
You can get rid of the Windows Log On (Welcome) screen by downloading and installing TweakUI, an MS Powertoy.
http://www.annoyance...ec/show/tweakui

Johanna

delawaredrew

delawaredrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Johanna-Does TweakUI work with XP pro? I've used it on this XP home laptop but never on Pro.
Murray- No matter how I am logged in (I think I've gained admin privledges now) control userpasswords2 does not give me an option to remove the logon.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Yes, both versions of TweakUI (even the one they say is NOT for XP) will work happily, side by side, in XP Pro. One version goes in "All Programs", one puts a tab in the Control Panel. Both have the "auto log on" feature you are looking for.

Johanna

Edited by Czarina, 13 August 2005 - 12:20 PM.

delawaredrew

delawaredrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Great, I just downloaded it and will install as soon as the current (Trend micro Office Scan) spyware round up is finished running. The XP Pro comp had a dozen or so user profiles and it has been a long process to track down all the BHO's and viruses and crap they installed or caught. Guess the low price wasn't as good a deal as I thought.
I'll post back and let you know how it goes.
Thanks
Drew