Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Outlook 2002/2003 problems

• Please log in to reply

seikoHoG

seikoHoG

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I have a slow P3 that had W98 on it. I upgraded to XP Pro. After I upgraded, there were several programs that I couldn't remove through CP Add/Remove, including Norton Systemworks and MS Office 2000.

Before upgrading, I had MS Office 2000 with one exeption - when I previously installed Dell Axim X30 software, the X30 disk came with Outlook 2002, which I installed.

Then I upgraded to MS Office 2003. I immediately had problems opening any of the programs in the suite. When I opened any program it asked for the Outlook 2000 disk (or the 2002 disk for Outlook). I reloaded MS Office 2003 and everything worked fine except for Outlook. It still asks for the Outlook 2002 disk (which I don't have) and when I cancel out of that box, I get a MAPI32.DLL error message, so I can't even open the Outlook program.

I've researched the web and can't find anything on how to remove Outlook 2002, so I can reinstall Outlook 2003. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Thanks,
seikoHoG

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Installing XP over the top of Win98 was the start of your problems. You should always where possible install any version of Windows on to a 'clean' partition so there's no old stuff to confuse the situation. I suggest you do that, provided you have the 98 CD as well as the XP one if it's an upgrade version. Boot from the XP CD. Choose the option to delete the existing C: partition. Then tell XP setup to install on to the 'unpartitoned space'. When Windows is up and running, install whichever version of Office you intend to use. Be aware also that when you install Office, don't remove the Office CD until you'e actually launched Outlook cos it needs the CD to finish setting it up when it's opened for the first time.

seikoHoG

seikoHoG

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
pip22,

thanks for the reply. i'm a little green as i don't really know what a partition is (heard of it, just don't grasp it). i can certainly follow your instructions, however, i unfortunately don't have the 98 disks. this was an old office computer that i bought from my company (for $1) and the disks aren't available. yes, xp is the upgrade edition.

your instructions don't mention using the 98 cd, so can i still proceed? when i delete the existing c partition, am i essentially removing xp, then reinstalling it on the 'clean' partition? also, by deleting the existing partition, will i damage/delete/otherwise remove any personal files or programs?

thanks!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
An upgrade disc will want the previous operating system disc at some point.

Try removing all versions of Office then use Windows Installer clean up
from the link, but only on Office installation files

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;290301

Install the version of Office you want

seikoHoG

seikoHoG

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Keith,

Thanks so much. I ran the installer clean-up and removed the office products (after first uninstalling MS Office 2003). Then I reinstalled MS Office 2003. I was bummed at first because it would not let me install Outlook, but after installing the other programs in the suite, I just re-ran setup and selected to install Outlook. It was a success. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Take care.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know

Michael Bishop

Michael Bishop

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I wish that I had read this thread last week. My Windows 2000 crashed on me and I just installed it again and it seems to work fine until I boot up the following day and my complete C: drive was corrupted. I then reformatted the C: drive and installed Windows 2000 again and it seems to be working now.

In the future I will remember your advice, especially since I am planning to install Windows 2000 on two other computers in the near future.

Michael