Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new dsl wireless router/modem setup windows XP

• Please log in to reply

jchungbin

jchungbin

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have an HP Pavillion laptop with a built in Wifi 802.11.g reader. I received new Verizon DSL with a Westell 327 modem/wireless router. I went through customer support and got the internet to come up when connected directly to the router. I set up the router to broadcast my network.

On windows, in the lower right, the red antenna tower, when clicked, can see my network and shows it has a strong signal. I put my network on the top of the list, "edit" the security by putting in my password and the once "red" bar becomes green. When I go back, the icon for my network still shows a red X through my small black antenna icon next to our network name (according to the help on windows xp, that icon is supposed to have no red X when I am logged in)

In Windows, in the "network connections", it has a red X through the wireless connection icon. When I right click that Icon, under "view available wireless networks" the screen of "available wireless networks" is all greyed out, the "advanced" button is also greyed out. Nothing can be seen or logged in to.

Has anyone seen this before? Any help would be great.

Thanks....jerry

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it sounds like your card is being disabled....check your power profiles in control pannel under power settings or something like that...alot of laptops will turn the cards off after a certain period of time on battery