Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

FMN400C - Gateway Desktop - Won't Turn On?

• Please log in to reply

Space Cowboy

Space Cowboy

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
FMN400C - Gateway Desktop

So I thought I'd try and do a favor for a coworker and look at her computer. It's won't turn on at all. There is a small power supply in it and I checked it out and it doesn't smell and the fuse inside is good. I tried shorting out the 2 wires that go to the mother for on/off (i believe) and plugin it in but nothin. I'm going to check the on/off switch on the case and see if thats good but I'm unsure where to go from there..

Any Tips

Thanks

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
With all due respect, from what you've said so far it's obvious you are not yet sufficiently competent to go poking around inside a PC case to sort out a power problem. You may do more harm than good to both yourself and the PC. I would suggest you swallow your pride and place the PC in the hands of a paid technician. Fitting a component is one thing, but a blind stab in the dark is another ball game entirely.

HQZ

HQZ

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Try by using a different power cord, it could be the power cord :tazz: also when did the PC stopped working and how (did it freeze or just went dead or just couldn't be turned on after a normal shut down). Also try different power supply if you can (it will take some time but will rule out the PSU case best)

Space Cowboy

Space Cowboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

With all due respect, from what you've said so far it's obvious you are not yet sufficiently competent to go poking around inside a PC case to sort out a power problem. You may do more harm than good to both yourself and the PC. I would suggest you swallow your pride and place the PC in the hands of a paid technician. Fitting a component is one thing, but a blind stab in the dark is another ball game entirely.

View Post

Oh my .. is this how you treat all your members??

Nothin .. ziltz .. nada..

Checked the switch in the back first thing and even switched it back and forth a few times. Haven't took a meter to it yet. Measured 120VAC at end of power cord just to make sure. Took out supply and tried just powering it up after close inspection and checkin the fuse and nothin. I have a spare power supply that I just ripped out of a Packard [bleep] and it won't do anything either when I plug it in.

So I'm thinkin they need some sorta input before they will turn on?

Also .. this Gateway's power supply is of course unique. I have a couple around here but they won't fit.

So I was hoping to save myself some work and try and get it to work with the one thats in it.

Thanks

P.S. I'm a journeyman electronics tech .. have the card to prove it :tazz:

Edited by Space Cowboy, 12 August 2005 - 08:48 AM.

Space Cowboy

Space Cowboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Bump..