Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help picking a video card

• Please log in to reply

battlefield nut

battlefield nut

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
im geting a new computer at the end of the yea.

the new : motherboard is going to be a ASUS A8N SLI DELUXE with pci e 16x
i wanted to know should i get a geforce 6600 256mb or get a winfast grforce 6600gt 128mb or if you know a beter ati card plz tell me ;) :tazz:

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Any of the x800 series would be better.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
since thats an sli motherboard, you should get a 6800 gt or 6800 ultra and you can always buy another later for dual video cards using sli.

Or just buy 7800Gtx for now. If you dont want to spend alot of money go with X800 pro.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Sli shouldnt really be reccomended as a just stick in a card later as it is not that easy.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Yes, i know that. Maybe he doesnt know it has to be the same card/make. I have had years of experience with hardware especially with video cards.

Okay, ill be more specific

Example: if you bought a Evga 6800 ultra pci express that allows sli mode (sli ready) now and decided to buy another later. It has to be the same exact card when your ready to buy the second card. :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
And you will probably have to flash the bios of the video card which is a risky process.

tippmann98

tippmann98

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi im new too video cards and i just bought BF2 and i need to upgrade my stock graphic card. I have a dell dimension 3000 and i was wondering what graphic card to get for my machine and that will work great for BF2? I have a list of cards im thinking about getting if anyone can comment and tell me which one i should buy. Sorry for being stupid i just need some good advice from people that know these things.

ATI TECHNOLOGIES - All-in-Wonder X800 XT 256 MB AGP Graphics Card

VISIONTEK - RADEON X700 256 MB DDR PCIe Graphics Card

DIAMOND MULTIMEDIA - RADEON Viper X800XL 256 MB Cinematic 2D/3D PCIE Graphics Card

DIAMOND MULTIMEDIA - RADEON X800XL 256 MB Cinematic 2D/3D AGP Graphics Card

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Get and run a program called cpu-z tell me what it says under graphical interface, this will determine what video card you can get AGP or PCI-E.

battlefield nut

battlefield nut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
i dont know about them cards i do have a price range i have oly got about 300$ to 400$ :tazz:

Edited by battlefield nut, 13 August 2005 - 07:38 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
x800s are in your price range.

Advertisements

Matt @1230

Matt @1230

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
I have an Nvidia Geforce 6200 with t.c. sup 256mb I thought it would be able to handle half life 2 on the most powerful video setting but it is very choppy but in Counter Strike Source it works fine in the most powerful setting I'm wondering if it is my graphics card or do I need more ram I have 512 mb of ram ?

Edited by Matt @1230, 17 August 2005 - 08:26 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
A low end card able to handle a brand new game like hl2, its rather unlikely it should be able to handle medium at best. With counterstrike it goes faster because there are smaller maps and the cpu does not have to be used for AI like HL2 does try running your own server with some bots you will see the differnce.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
double, azureus is slowing up my net.

Edited by warriorscot, 17 August 2005 - 10:04 AM.

battlefield nut

battlefield nut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
i found wat im looking for im going for dual grforce 6600gt pci but its going to cost a lot more then i was going to pay so thx for all the help

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You would be better off with a single card solution they are more powerful.