Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

embedded motherboards

• Please log in to reply

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
Hey guys,

Iv just been on via embedded looking at these embedded mobo's / computers.

i can build one with an TFT monitor for about the same price i could get a second hand usable computer with CRT, the second hand computer WOULD be more powerful (P3 800 - 1 GHZ) i would need to get new cases for them and they would still be ugly. The embedded look nice and with TFT take up less space.

I need them for setting up an internet Cafe, obviously they will be networked to a computer(or a router) in the back and linked to the internet. They will most probobly have Knoppix or Debian running on them, but if we cant get that to go we may have to use windows.

What do you guys make of micro-ITX and what do you think in general?

Thanks

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well, all of the internet cafes round here are used for online gaming as well so those wont be pwerful enough if you intend do to that sort of thing on them, and they are usually connected to a small server in the back from what i have observed. If though you dont have the cash for this kind of thing have you thought about running a more powerful server computer that is running several terminals(keyboard mouse and monitor). For just using the internet that kind of set up should be fine you will also need to ensure you have a good connection speed to the internet between 10 and 100 Mbps. There are lots of options for this kind of system i have never seen two the same in my local area.