Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

need opinion

• Please log in to reply

plapello

plapello

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I hear size matters... :tazz: um.. does that apply to power supplys too. :)

I have this

P4 3.0 800mhz
1gb pc3200
250gb sata
dvd
dvd-rw
2 case fans
lots of software

and 300W power supply

The PC ran fine for a few days but now it'll boot up into windows and will seem fine.... until I click on anything, it'll freeze and stay there ( but the mouse pointer moves fine). But I can't even ctrl-alt-delete. ????? The system is to new for viruses and I went in safe mode and it works great there???? I have been told a lot that my power supply is to small. Would this be the reason the system slows down? ;)

thanks!!!

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I would say it is to small what are you doing for gfx.

plapello

plapello

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
for now I have a cheap 64mb ATI card. not even sure of the version.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The power supply i think is too small for that computer a 350W would struggle to power it. Although those dont sound like PSU problems that i have noticed are common gfx is usually the first sign of a insufficient psu. I wouldnt rule it out, did you build the computer yourself or did you buy it.
To rule out the memory run memtest on the ram and post up the computer temps(found in bios) in celsius if you dont mind.

Edited by warriorscot, 12 August 2005 - 10:25 AM.

plapello

plapello

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I built it. I am going to get a new video card soon. Maybe next week. 1st I am going to get a 400w or higher psu. Graphics seemed fine??? It just seemed like the system was being very slow

plapello

plapello

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Could the graphics card cause a system to be slow and freeze when I click on something? :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Wouldnt think so run memtest on the ram one stick at a time. And you will want over 450W for the psu minimum the one you have now has way to little power for that system you obviously didnt fo your homework before you built the system.

plapello

plapello

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I know.. I admit I am a sad excuse of a system builder. i will learn from my mistakes. :tazz: