Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Quick TWeakin Ques?

• Please log in to reply

scarlet_spider

scarlet_spider

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
Hello ..i want to tweak ma system by doin the following:

I want to hide the document folders in "My Computer"---there unhideable:laughing:

Next I want to make ma taskbar transparent---- 4 a betta looking desktop

Then I want to change the name of the Ie --instead of "Microsoft Internet Explorer" i want to put just IE

THHHEN i want to change the welcome screen in general...put in a style

Also. i want to rid the desktop of those annoying arrows (u noe with ur icons)

Finally i would like to put three icons on myu desktop that when clicked ...LOGOFF, RESTART, or SHUTDOWN....

lolz srry if its too much but i would appreciate if someone could show me how to do this in the registry..thanx in advance

Ps. plz dont direct me to a tweaking software, i dont want one

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well it would be near impossible to do that in the registry, the best and easiest way to do what you want (and i think i ahev tried all the software) is style xp. I know you dont want software but you cant really do it otherwise, you could of course write the software yourself and code the effects yourself but i dont think you could do it easily at all. Unless you got permission to use code from some of the software systems that can do what you want.

scarlet_spider

scarlet_spider

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
r u sure i need stlyxp...i had it on a previous computer and it seriously sqrewed it up...plus its only tweaking is to change the "style" of xp...not do the stuff i stated above.....also i m positive of that some of the tweaks can be done in the resgistry...notsure of some.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well i use the latest version and it has icon packs, themes, visual styles, backgrounds, screensavers, logon screens, boot screens, new cursors and options for transparency. However applying any kind of theme in any software or even via windows will imcrease the use of system resources for the desktop. You could also try aston shell for something completely different.
Maybe you could affect some of the changes you want but the chance you will seriously screw up your computer in the process is fairly high.

scarlet_spider

scarlet_spider

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
ok....wat about the icons--the shutdown,restart and logoff.....do u think i could make those??>

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Making them is the easy bit, lots of internet resources and its all open development of the themes and icons so you can find plenty support if that what you want to do.
I dont know what you mean shutdown restart and logoff. If you mean the blue screen some people get when they shut down you cant change that i dont think anything can change that but boot and log on screens can be changed.

sprout

sprout

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
The shortcuts to turn off,reboot, and log off the system can be done by creating shortcuts on the desktop (right click on any blank space on the desktop>new>shortcut). Input these commands into the shortcut:
to logoff: shutdown -l -t 00
to power off: shutdown -s -t 00
to reboot: shutdown -r -t 00
There are other customization you can do with switches, do a search on google for all that.
For the IE title bar, go to start>run>type in regedit, this will open the registry editor (BE CAREFUL! IF YOU MAKE CHANGES INCORRECTLY IT COULD HAVE ADVERSE OR CATASTROPHIC EFFECTS).
In regedit drill down to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main
Add the string value Window Title (Edit menu -> New -> String Value)...it will have the TYPE as REG_SZ. Right click on the newly created string value, then click modify and fill in the value data with whatever you would like it to read, exit out of regedit, reboot...and there should be a new title in your IE bar.
For all the other cosmetic changes, do a search on Google, there is all kinds of information.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Also you might want to try firefox instead of IE, its faster, safer, easier to use, has tabbed browsing and it is fully skinable.

sprout

sprout

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
True, good point warriorscot...I generally dont suggest changing browsers to people unless they specifically ask. More times than not people become defensive about having to "learn a new program"...also there is "some" functionality in IE that falls short in Firefox...not much, but there are a few things that can frustrate the uninitiated. The tabbed browsing alone makes it worth a look.

scarlet_spider

scarlet_spider

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
ive tried firefox,but i prefer IE...also i have one more question..is ther any way to slow down my right click button...its just too fast,like when i have to save the picture it comes and go in a blink

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
It is supposed to stay on until the next time you click, really you like IE better honestly really truly so it cant be, IE is really awful in comparison.

scarlet_spider

scarlet_spider

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
lolz...yup, i really like IE betta...and wat do u mean by "its supposed to stay on...."...i asked if i could slow it down and how

HalfGeek

HalfGeek

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Here ya go scarlett_spider:
1) Go to Start>Run and type "regedit" (without the quotes).
2) Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main
3) Now the part to see if you have the string "Window Title"...if you don't have it, make a new string (Edit>New>String Value) and name it "Window Title" (without the quotes).
4)In there, type whatever you want in there and click OK.
Open new instance of IE and *poof* there it is.

I'll try to get to some of your other requests soon....

BTW... It's all about personal prefs but, for me, Opera rules the browser world.

scarlet_spider

scarlet_spider

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
thanx alots....could u show me how to slow down the right-click menu???

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well the right click menu shouldnt disappear until you click the mouse again, although i do get what you mean i used to get that problem when i first installed home but after i installed the service packs it worked properly.