Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sys32/wininet.dll virus [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Excal

Excal

Malware Slayer Extraordinaire!

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
Hi :)

2 things. 1) is the files still there? 2) hows the computer running.

Thanks,

:tazz:

Excal

Advertisements

la32301

la32301

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Excal,

I want to say my deepest thank you to everyone on this board, Atribune, and yourself.

I havn't received any messages about virus infections, malware, etc. and the computer is running great.

The only thing that has changed is that I have to press Ctrl+Alt=Delete to get to the password menu. This is not a problem for me since I had no idea how to rid my computer of the virus.

I regretfully say that the money I was giving as donation has gone to the evacuees of Hurricane Katrina, most of whom are in my city.

Thank you for your support and help. I will not forget about you guys and will recommend you to everyone I know should they ask.

Is there anything else I need to do before you close this dialogue?

Thank you from the Heart :tazz:

Brent

la32301

la32301

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Is there any way in which I can become a helper to you guys since I can't donate?

Brent

Excal

Excal

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
If you are interested in Joining our team as a malware helper, please go to this link :)

GeekU

Great job, it appears your computer is clean :tazz:

Ensure you rehide your “hidden files and folders” back to the way they were.

I recommend that you Defrag your computer:

Go to start>all programs>accessories>system tools>Disk Defragmentor Make sure it set to the proper drive (default should be your main driver) and click on defragment

Might I suggest the following Free Spyware programs, if you don't already have them, for added security, you can download them at the following links. These programs work great for detection:

Ad-aware SE
Spybot S&D
Microsoft Anti-Spyware

If you are unhappy with your current antivirus and want to replace it or if you dont already have one, I suggest one of these free programs:
*Note - do not use more than one anti-virus program as it will more than likely cause conflict.

AVG
Avast
AntiVir

The following free programs are great for prevention:

SpywareBlaster 3.4
Spywareguard
IE/Spyad

A Firewall is a must! Here are 3 good free versions:
(do not have more than one firewall running on your system)

Sygate
Kerio
ZoneLabs

There are other options other than Internet Explorer for a browser, which some say have better security. Two of them are:

Firefox
Opera

If you decide to keep Internet Explorer, This site is a great source for tightening up security on It's settings.

Make sure that you keep your Operating System and IE updated with the latest Critical Security Updates from Microsoft...they usually come out once a month, on the 2nd Tuesday of each month.

Be sure and give the Temp folders a cleaning out now and then as well, Make sure after you clean your Temp files to empty out your Recycle bin as well.
For ease use the following program:

Cleanup
Run "Cleanup" and when it has finished, Reboot

To help prevent future spyware installations/infections, please read the Anti-Spyware Tutorial and use the tools provided. Also read How I got Infected

la32301

la32301

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Excal,

Thank you so much. I will enroll in Geek U so that I may assist someone else as you have done me.

Brent

Excal

Excal

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
Your welcome, and good luck with your training.

:tazz:

Excal

Excal

Excal

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :tazz:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.