Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP - Installation woes.

• Please log in to reply

tripb

tripb

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My laptop started out on windows XP, after a while I wanted a change and installed linux, but never really got into it - missing drivers were a killer. Now i've had a defunct laptop sitting here for months, so today I went to put XP back on it. Insert xp disk, follow all the procedures, then when setup is transferring files to the computer during setup, at around 29/30% through it stalls, a flash of a BSOD and my laptop turns off. I caught something about msimg32.dll on the bsod but im not sure about the whole error, dont have time to read it off. Since that happened i've tried to install it 5 more times, same thing happens every time. Do i need a new xp disc or is it something else? I dont want to go to the hassle of getting a new cd only for the same thing to happen.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
The best option is to download the hard drive manufactures disk utility and totally wipe the drive (low level format). Once that's done, partition and format the drive, then try reinstalling again.

tripb

tripb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Will look into that option now, thanks for the reply.