Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow and possibly infected computer

• Please log in to reply

jasonandnicolewyatt

jasonandnicolewyatt

• Pip
  • 4 posts
My computer is moving extremely slow and I'm afraid that there are viruses, spyware, adware or something that is slowing it down. I have Microfsoft Antispyware and Spybot and it helps a little but not much. I have Windows XP and it's slow when starting up. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Advertisements

tripb

tripb

• Pip
  • 3 posts
How much RAM do you have in your computer?
Do you have any anti-virus programs? If so do a full search with them - AVG is a free antivirus program.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

If you suspect a malware issue, please go to the malware forum in my signature and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

Murray

dagger

dagger

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

My computer is moving extremely slow and I'm afraid that there are viruses, spyware, adware or something that is slowing it down.  I have Microfsoft Antispyware and Spybot and it helps a little but not much.  I have Windows XP and it's slow when starting up.  Any help would be greatly appriciated.

View Post

Also try 'unchecking' unwanted items at start up, run disk cleanup if you havent and cleanout the junk, defragment your HDD. Also as tripb said, maybe if you run too many applications and your RAM is insufficient this may happen.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Most people note an improvment after reading This Go to the Malware form first as said by Murray S.