Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Volume gone

• Please log in to reply

boob

boob

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
Does anyone know what could have caused the volume controls of Windows XP to completely dissapear? It's also not allowing access to them through control panel or anything to fix it. The OS is Windows XP.

Thanks for any help.

Advertisements

Pri3st

Pri3st

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
If you have a windows installation cd you can pop the cd in and open a command window (go to run in the start menu and type "cmd")then:

type "D:" (or replace D: with the drive letter of your cd drive.) and hit enter

then type "cd i386" and hit enter

then type "expand -r sndvol32 %systemroot%\system32"

after this you should be able to enable the volume icon from the control panel's Sound and Audio Devices menu.

Edited by Pri3st, 12 August 2005 - 02:45 PM.

boob

boob

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Nothing. Also, it won't let me save anything at all, so I can't format the harddrive or else I'll lose everything. I'm thinking malware.

Pri3st

Pri3st

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Yeah maybe so. You can do a recovery installation if nothing else works that usually gets rid of most problems but I would suggest a thorough virus/spyware acan before hand as some of them can carry over to the next installation