Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

confused at some reports

• Please log in to reply

Bluefox

Bluefox

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
OK people, i have a query for you, hope you can answer my question

I am running a intel p4 1500mhz that came with a paltry 128mb of ram (this system is 3 yrs old, lol)
motherboard is a gigabyte GA8-TXC-423
Bios is AMI about 2 years old

I found i was running a rimms ram an decide to upgrade, i installed 2 more 256mb sticks to boost the performance (as i read up on rimms an discovered you have to run in pairs) all went well and system seems fine and a little faster,
however whenever i run system scans some prog's say i have 649mb of ram an some say i still only have 128mb of ram

Was i suppose to update something so all knew i had 649mb's?
Are these progs not as reliable as believed?

Maybe i am reading result's wrong but they all seem to answer either one way or another, as the system runs fine and fast i dont wanna dig into it too much, (if it aint broke dont fix it, is my view)

just wondered if anybody has some thoughts on this

Any advice and thoughts are appreciated

Regards
Blue

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Can u list some programs that say 128mb RAM?

Bluefox

Bluefox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I cant remember all the progs i tried, i will work on it, but off the bat i got three for you, and thanks for the fast reply.

Everest ultimate 2005 ..................... 639mb
tune up utilities 2004 ........................639mb
they seem good but the winsock prog you advise in the malware section doesnt, if i hit system info it brings up the windows system info screen, that has me down as 128 virtual memory, is it me or is summat not reading right?

thanks

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Virtual Memory is not same as RAM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
if you have extra hd space i'd increase that virtual memory...just to ensure that you never have issues down the line (though you shouldn't really with that amount of ram) if you have it id put 500 mb aside..or a gig if you have it to spare

Bluefox

Bluefox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
[bleep] i feel stupid, suppose i was looking round corner's i didnt need to,
thanx for the heads up Ash, appreciate it, just had my tunnel vision on

love this site, you all do good work, gonna hang around for a bit and see if i can help in any way

cheers buddy

:tazz:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
if you like hours and hours of tedium you can join geek u http://www.geekstogo...here-t4817.html

if you prefer the hardware or software side of the deal just keep truckin and show that you know what you're doing (or that you can fake it pretty well *that's how i did it hehe*) and you never know you might get that geeks logo in no time

Bluefox

Bluefox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

if  you have extra hd space i'd increase that virtual memory...just to ensure that you never have issues down the line (though you shouldn't really with that amount of ram) if you have it id put 500 mb aside..or a gig if you have it to spare

View Post

I'm sorry you lost me there, lol memory i'm not great on can you explain a little more, i have a 120gb "c" drive and a 80 gb "d" drive 80 gb is 75% full and 120 (main drive) is 33% full

thanks for the reply, seems interesting

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
well..virtual memory is space set aside on your hd for when you run out of ram...this is important because (except for graphix when you have a good graphix card) all calculations have to be loaded into ram when you execute a process....so if you run out of available ram...it can go to the hd (virtual memory) and use that space...ram is faster but bigger virtual memory means that you wont get errors due to lack of ram...i don't think you would have a problem with your current memory size...but it never hurts if you have the extra space...just search virtual memory page size in windows help

Bluefox

Bluefox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks for the Advice, i will certainly look into it, as for the virtual memory , i found it under start/control panel/system/ which bring's up properties, then i clicked on advanced to get the properties, i found it saying that virtual memory was running at 960mb, when i hit change (i am inquisitive, had to see what it said) i have a range from 960mb-1920 and available is 87000mb, does this sound normal?

As i said the memory side of thing's are real grey area to me, the rest i can muddle through lol, not as good as you guy's but i get there after a few beers and some swearing :tazz:

;) :)

thanx for your advice dsenette and thanx to you as well Ash

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
The total size of VM should be 1.5x ur RAM size.
Instead of setting a custom range for it, change the option to "System managed". It is best left to Windows to handle the size.

Bluefox

Bluefox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
thanks Ash i will do that :tazz: