Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics Cards Comparable to 9800 Pro

• Please log in to reply

Twiztnin223

Twiztnin223

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
I am told my graphics card is overheating. They said I can either buy a new one or get a cooler for it.

What kind of cooler can I get for a graphics card?

Is there anything that is comparable to or slightly better than an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro that you recommend? I'm thinking something with 256 is better than 128 right?

I'm using my computer for FFXI if that helps your decision.

:tazz:

Thanks!

Edited by Twiztnin223, 12 August 2005 - 04:06 PM.

Advertisements

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
not always true, my NX6600GT 128MB outperforms the 256MB edition, you 9800 Pro + new cooler should do the job, but an upgrade would make it a bit better, a 6600GT would be a good update.

By the way, what kind of VGA port are you using? (AGP, PCI/E)

Stasiek

Stasiek

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
who's telling you that the graphics card is overheating?

i have a ati9600 and i play hardware heavy games(ffxi included) and don't experience any overheating.

if you go to bios you should be able to choose a option to see the temperature of cpu and inside of case, what are they? also you may be able to get a reading on the fan speeds that you have installed on the pc, if any.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
To check if you are overheating get rivatuner it has a monitor function that will find out and plot your temps over time.

Twiztnin223

Twiztnin223

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
(see below)

Edited by Twiztnin223, 22 August 2005 - 12:01 AM.

Twiztnin223

Twiztnin223

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
I have a ASUS Probe in my computer and all temps look good, but I cannot get a temp of the graphics card. When it freezes, I touch the graphics card and it is hot to the touch. Pretty hot, but not burning my fingers hot. I ordered a Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer REV. 3 to see if that helps. Opening the side of the case and putting a big fan in front of it sure does lol.

Any other ideas I can try lemme know.