Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer keeps shutting off

• Please log in to reply

turquoise20

turquoise20

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi,

This week, I have gotten four new things. I have XP, a Dell system, with a Vonage broadband adapter (VBA), speaker/subwoofer set, and wireless optical mouse and keyboard. The computer wasn't shutting off by itsself until I got the VBA. Of course, everything's hooked up to a surge protector. So my question is: why is my computer turning itsself off, and could I possibly need a new surge protector?

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
It could possibly be a temperature thing look in bios to find the temperatures and post them up.

turquoise20

turquoise20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
BIOS would be...? I've heard the word, but I have no idea what you're talking about.

Thanks for helping me :tazz:,
V

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Get Everest Home here

http://www.lavalys.c...p?pid=1&lang=en

Click + next to computer then sensor

turquoise20

turquoise20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Field Value
IBM IC35L060AVV207-0 37 °C (99 °F)

I bought at Belkin surge protector @ Wal-Mart a few nights ago. So far, it hasn't shut off. Exactly what is this Everest good for?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It will give you the temperature without needing to look through BIOS

turquoise20

turquoise20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
What are your thoughts as to why the computer was shutting itsself off?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Either temperature or video card or its drivers

When you have a while, (hour) when you do not need the PC

Click start, run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD and get a blue bar, when the bar goes, remove the XP CD.

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot. It will take an hour to get back to the desktop, do not disturb this.

turquoise20

turquoise20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Before I do ANYTHING, what does this do (instructions in previous post), and how will it benefit?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the sfc command will check your system for missing/corrupt system files and fix them..the chckdisk will check your hd for errors... you may also try
Right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose ADVANCED, choose the SETTINGS button in the Startup And RECOVERY section, and uncheck AUTOMATICALLY RESTART