Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

norton

• Please log in to reply

sjenkinson

sjenkinson

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi all new to this great site and dont know if this talked about before.when i start up my pc which is runing xp home with norton 2005 Auto-protect will not work i get this error on the norton site Error: "Norton AntiVirus 2005 has encountered an internal program error" (4002,517) now i have tryed all that it says to fix this but to no avail can someone plz help me it will only work if i run update in norton :tazz:

Advertisements

Stryker

Stryker

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I had a similar error earlier today also. All I did was uninstall and reinstall norton and now it works fine. :tazz:

sevver

sevver

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
I have found that the best thing to do, is not use Norton, I use AVG.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi sjenkinson...Welcome to G2G!

Stryker gave you sound advice...uninstall the Norton 2005 and reinstall. If you run into problems with the uninstall (a few folks do) post back and I'll point you towards the Symantec progams that will get the job done. I had similar problems and the reinstall cured them as they did for Stryker.

wannabe1

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Hi sjenkinson,
Welcome to Geeks To Go.

I'm just wondering is norton working correctly now? :tazz:

Edited by Tony_1983, 12 August 2005 - 09:16 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Certainly does! :tazz: I've used Norton for years and while I won't say that is is superior to some of the programs available out there, it need not take a back seat to any of them either. I've never had a virus on any of the machines I have running Norton AV...Course, my test box is running Avast AV with a Zone Alarm firewall (freebie versions) and it has remained virus free, too.

wannabe1

Sorry Tony_1983...thought you were asking me... ;)

Edited by wannabe1, 12 August 2005 - 09:32 PM.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*

Sorry Tony_1983...thought you were asking me... :tazz:

View Post

Yes I was asking to make sure your software problem has been resolved. ;) :)

Just to comfirm, your problem with Norton has been resolved?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes...It now works just as it is supposed to.

wannabe1

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Awesome stuff. :tazz: ;)

sjenkinson

sjenkinson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Hi sjenkinson...Welcome to G2G!

Stryker gave you sound advice...uninstall the Norton 2005 and reinstall.  If you run into problems with the uninstall (a few folks do) post back and I'll point you towards the Symantec progams that will get the job done.  I had similar problems and the reinstall cured them as they did for Stryker.

wannabe1

View Post

No it did not work have the same problem still :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
sjenkinson...bummer :tazz:

ok...try the link below and see if this may pertain to you. I know there have been some issues involving Creative software. I don't have any on my machine so the reinstall cured my problems and the symptoms were the same as yours.

http://service1.syma...ction=4&Src=_mi

keep us posted on your progress.

wannabe1

sjenkinson

sjenkinson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I give up i have done everything i have been told to do on nortons site and it still does not work :tazz: any other good antivirus sofware i can use

LIONWOODS

LIONWOODS

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

I give up i have done everything i have been told to do on nortons site and it still does not work ;) any other good antivirus sofware i can use

View Post

Of course! There are a few good antivirus programs available for free download to you! Millions of people around the world depend on these to protect their computers.

AVG FREE from Grisoft
Avast! Home Edition

These are the best you can get, alot better than Norton and Mcafee. :tazz: