Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Lots of problems

• Please log in to reply

CitizenInsane

CitizenInsane

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Been trying to get friends PC running right. They've had it for years and haven't taken proper care of it. Had multiple virus, malware etc.

Well it's been upgraded to XP and there are still lots of problems.

First off, when the computer starts, it tries to "configure" some programs such as Microsoft Word 2002 etc. It gets about halfway done and then it gives me a blank error message and then says it finish.

Also, when downloading files, for example, using Firefox, the file doesn't show up on the desktop (designated place for all files to go). The file doesn't appear, but it exists because I can open it from the 'downloads' window in firefox.

So, I was able to download Adaware and Spybot, but they don't work correctly. Adaware first has an error loading the definitions, and then when trying to 'check for updates' it says 'error retrieving update'.

When I try to 'check for problems' using Spybot, it gives an error message saying 'invalid argument to date encode'.

Also, WinXP needs to be activated. I try to activate online and after it checks for connectivity it says that it can't establish a connection with the activation server. (Obviously I have connectivity since I'm submitting this right now on this pc).

:tazz:

All help is greatly appreciated, thank you!

Advertisements

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Hi CitizenInsane :tazz: ,

Welcome to Geeks To Go.

I'm just wondering, is the version of windows you have, did you get it from someone else?

CitizenInsane

CitizenInsane

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
He bought WindowsXP Home retail. Things were haywire beforehand though, missing files in WINDOWS\System32 etc.