Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Freezes....

• Please log in to reply

FutureWoWplayer

FutureWoWplayer

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Im having a hard time booting up my compter. It freezes alot when trying to start up regularly. I need to install SP2 but i cant get on the net. The computer comes on in safe mode but wont let me log on to the net to download the SP2 stuff. I pretty sure that if i download SP2 alot of those problems will be fixed but what should i do to boot up normally so that I can download it.

Also my audio drivers wont load. I put the intel disk that i got with my mother board into the comp, but everytime i go to install them they fail. I dont really understand this problem either.

Advertisements

sevver

sevver

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
I think that the first thing that I would try is a reinstall of the operating system. I am not sure if SP2 is going to be your salvation, I have never known it to fix any bugs.

And as for getting SP2, just get it elswhere, and put it on a disk, then you just have to put the disk in the computer you want to update. That is what I do for my business, lots easier than downloading it a billion times.
Steve

FutureWoWplayer

FutureWoWplayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Wheres a good website to get all the updates like SP1a and SP2 and all the other stuff to put on disk, cause microsoft is being a pain in the butt.

sevver

sevver

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
I am looking, with genuin advantage and all now, it may not be an easy find anymore. I was involvoed in beta testing sp2 when it came out, and M$ sent me a disk for my troubles, so that is how I got mine. I will repost back with my findings.
Steve

Update:: SP2 Download Page.

Edited by sevver, 12 August 2005 - 09:37 PM.

Stasiek

Stasiek

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
what is your computer model number and maker?
have you installed/downloaded anything recently before these slow ups?

when you say 'freezes' you mean for good or just because it's loading a butt load of crap?

for the audio drivers, if you can get into windows go to task manager and click on devices select audio and then click on appropriate audio driver and then right click and select uninstall driver, once uninstalled reboot computer and upon windows startup it will tell you new hardware detected and give you a option to eithor have windows look for drivers or have you select location of drivers. you can then eithor specify the driver located on the cd or have windows look thru it's own drivers and install if any are found.

FutureWoWplayer

FutureWoWplayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
when i say freezes i mean like it gets to the start up screen where the blue bar is goin across the screen as its loading and then it just stops. Like it freezes. Ive let it load for about an hour, so I was able to rule out the fact that its not loading a but load of crap. Although sometimes i wish it was as frustrating as this is.

When the computer last came on I was able to get SP2 on there, for the updates, but I worried that I may need to install the operating system again, and that is a long story in its own....

Any ideas. The computer will boot up into safe mode but not normal mode. And even if i try to boot to "last known good configuration that worked" it still freezes. So please geeks to go, pimp my computer.....