Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics Card Problem

• Please log in to reply

missmelissa

missmelissa

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I recently baught a new graphics card, GeForce MX4000 PCI. I put in the new graphics card and when I boot my computer everything on my screen is striped horizontal so everything is unreadable. After windows loads, its still unreadable, so I'm unable to install the drivers for the new graphics card. I hooked up the old graphics card and now its having the same problem. Any help would be appreciated.:tazz:

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
I have to state the obvious... did you try removing and reseating the old card again. Makes sense that this is probably a "physical" failure.

However, if you have tried that already and the card is sitting in the slot just fine, then you might try going into Device manager, and totally deleting the display adater so windows can detect it again on reboot and install the driver. I know this might be difficult seeing as the screen is messed up, but you have to try it.

Stasiek

Stasiek

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
what card did you have in there previously? also a pci?

if you are still having trouble and the hardware is connected right/tight, try starting in safe mode...let me back track, once you boot up is the screen jacked up even when you see bios?

missmelissa

missmelissa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Yes I've tried reseating both of them and It makes no difference. I would try and go to device manager but I can't tell whats on my computer screen at all.

missmelissa

missmelissa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
The other card was a PCI also and I've tried both cards in all 3 slots. I can't start in safe mode because my screen is messed up, and yes its jacked during boot up.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Have you tried resetting the bios to defaults. Just pull the motherboard battery out for a minute or two, then put it back in... see if it helps.

Also, long shot here... but do you have another monitor you could try?

Stasiek

Stasiek

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
the card has two vga ports on back of card are you plugged in the right one?

if this doesn't work you can try if you can use another monitor to rule that out.

missmelissa

missmelissa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I've already reset the bios, and its still a no go.

No other monitors at the moment.

Stasiek

Stasiek

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
i hate to be a nuissence but did you try the other vga connection?

your monitor what type is it? does it have a knob or setting for refresh cycles/or some thing to that extent

Edited by Stasiek, 13 August 2005 - 01:55 AM.

missmelissa

missmelissa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
alright well after messing with some things I now have a clear picture after windows logs on. The boot up is still unreadable, and so is the windows log on screen.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
You really need to try another monitor, because, during your bios boot up, your display shouldn't be distorted. It could be that your bios somehow got corrupted and needs to be reflashed, but this can be dangerous as a bad flash could render your computer useless!

If you do opt to reflash the bios, make sure to fully read your motherboard manufactures procedure before running through the process.

missmelissa

missmelissa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I know how to reflash the bios, I've done it many times.

I switched the monitor out with my friends and it worked perfectly so I guess the other monitor sucks.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Glad you kow how to flash bios!

so I guess the other monitor sucks.

Either that, or your new vid card blew it! :tazz:

missmelissa

missmelissa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
yeah stupid video card :tazz:

Thanks for the help ;)

Edited by missmelissa, 13 August 2005 - 07:46 PM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
You're welcome!! ;) Sorry about the stupid video card!! :tazz: