Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

new hard disk wont appear

• Please log in to reply

crrash

crrash

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
my brother (hes going away for some days, so ill ask for help) ought a 60 gigabyte (i think) harddisk serial/ultra. he says it should work, because his pc is compatible with SATA.

also he says it does appear on the screen as a secondary hard drive when starting up, but when he goes to windows/my computer there is only his partitioned hard drive (c:\ and d:\ .... his new one should be e:\ )
well we have no idea what to do and would greatly apreciate help (ok, he would, i would stilll have my lame "Old" 80 gig hard drive :tazz: )

Advertisements

Mr.KnowItAll

Mr.KnowItAll

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
1st check the Bios... i dont know what MotherBoard u have, but u need to c if both tecknologies are chosen (SATA and IDE)

2nd right click my computer, go to manage and then choose disk amnagment, and c if there is some HD that mark as unallocated, if this is the case... format it.

crrash

crrash

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
its an asus p4p800s motherboard

he says both technologies are enabled

edit: both disks are there, second unallocated
he already tried to fdisk it but somehow he couldnt format it, even the primary harddrive couldnt be formatted and he got an error message about something being invalid (at least thats what i understood)

so how do i format it (without accidentally formatting the primary one)

Edited by crrash, 13 August 2005 - 05:09 AM.

crrash

crrash

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
uhm second page... no good.... *bump*

sprout

sprout

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
control panel->administrative tools->computer management->disk management->right click over unallocated disk listing->click "format"...after that follow the bouncing ball.

crrash

crrash

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
theres no format button.... do i select "partition", or is "format" hidden somewhere where i cant see it?

edit: theres only a format button when rightclicking on the second partition of the first hard disk

Edited by crrash, 14 August 2005 - 04:25 AM.

crrash

crrash

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
someone?

crrash

crrash

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
sorry for bumping again but it won get answered if it is on page 2

so do i choose partition from the right-click-menu?