Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC wont boot right

• Please log in to reply

Shoota

Shoota

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
I was using my other PC normally until the mouse and keyboard stopped working. I tried reconnecting them but they still didn't work. So I thought restarting the computer would fix this.

I turned off the power and turned it back on but this time I got an orange light from my monitor and the monitor was blank. The computer was on but nothing was going on from the activity light.

I tried several restarts but the monitor still has the orange light. Its a dell 15" LCD.

Here are the PC specs

Dell Dimension 4400
Pent 4. at 1.6GHz
786MB RAM
Geforce 2 MX 64MB
40GB Western Digital hd

I appreciate any help.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Turn the PC off, turn the monitor off, unplug it if there is not a power button, give it a minute turn the monitor on, boot the PC

Shoota

Shoota

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
WTH? It worked!! How'd you know that? Is this a common problem? What was wrong?

Thanks a bunch keith for your response. You saved a lot of frustration :tazz:

Dark_Side

Dark_Side

• PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

WTH? It worked!! How'd you know that? Is this a common problem? What was wrong?

Thanks a bunch keith for your response. You saved a lot of frustration :tazz:

View Post

It's not really a common problem, but it's a common solution. Alot of small problems are fixed turning the system off and unplugging it.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know

Shoota

Shoota

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Crap, im getting that problem again. I did what you suggested and it worked but now I have a feeling this is going to keep happening and I dont want to keep having to go all the way under my desk and unpluging the cords everytime this happens...

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD and get a blue bar, when the bar goes, reboot.

Look for the latest drivers for your video adapter

Shoota

Shoota

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
This gets wierder and wierder. Everytime I boot the pc I get random combinations of orange light error, freezing during boot up, and the mouse/keyboard not working.

Are any of my internal hardware components messed up or what?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run sfc /scannow so you know your system files are in order then after the reboot, click start, run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter and reboot.

It will take an hour to get back to the desktop, do not disturb this, when it loads to the desktop, the hard drive will have been checked and any possible repairs will have been performed.

Run the PC, if it still gives errors then you are looking at hardware, but this could be loose connections

Shoota

Shoota

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Well its hard for to get in my computer now. Sometimes it will freeze during boot and sometimes i can get to my desktop, which I only have a few seconds before my mouse and keyboard stops working again (which im now guessing is the computer freezing).

Edited by Shoota, 13 August 2005 - 04:40 PM.

Dark_Side

Dark_Side

• PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Thank You for letting me know

View Post

Sorry, did I offend you or something? :tazz:

Shoota

Shoota

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Any other suggestions? Is my hard drive failing or is this a software problem?

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
its a wierd one. dont suppose you have a copy of pc-check handy do you?