Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Builing My Own PC

• Please log in to reply

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Alright now i am thoroughly confused... what do i need for the best performance?

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
It is very confusing. For best performance 2gb low latency matched pair of 1gb sticks.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
sorry so long on the reply... was the start of a new work week...what brand is good? and what component is next?

so far we got the motherborard, processor, ram, should we start on a hard drive now?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Corsair has the best reputation of all the ram manufacturers and it is well deserved, OCZ is also very good but is mostly for overclockers.
HDD from what i have been reading the new samsung spinpoint p120s drives are really good if i wasnt skint i would be getting myself one.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
PART ONE

OK ive found two different ram's but i need a little help on the latency ratings provided by corsair and also if it will fit into the motherboard i am using.

http://www.corsairme...orsair/xms.html
TWINX2048-3200PRO
XMS3200 2048MB 3-3-3-8 2x184 DIMM Black XMS ProSeries

TWINXP1024-3200XL
XMS3200 1024MB 2-2-2-5 2x184 DIMM Black/ with LED module

the first one is a 2 gb set and the second is a 1gb set.... shouldn't the higher capacity have the faster speeds??? please explain these latency ratings and cpapcity ratings and how they apply to faster speeds???
I like the second one listed because of the LED's on it... but i want speed.

PART TWO

I have also found some hard drives to look at. please let me know which is the better of them.. i dont want to go below 200GB.

I need to know what the terms IDE Ultra ATA100, IDE Ultra ATA133, SCSI Ultra320 68 pin, and Serial ATA150 .... are these different types of connections and are these types faster.... my overall goal is SPEED and CAPACITY.
http://www.newegg.co...ATT=Hard Drives
pick one from the following 4 pages at the above link or provide a better link if your able.

PART THREE

I appreciate your help.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
I checked on the samsung drives and they only come in really low capacities ... like under 50GB... i gotta have 200+GB.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
What do you mean i have only seen them in bigger than 120GB and most of them are 250 and 300GB. http://www.newegg.co...Submit=Property that took me 10 seconds to find. I have a preference for maxtor and samsung drives but any of the big manufacturers make decent drives, the p120 drives from samsung can beat a raptor in game performance.
For drives you are looking for SATA 1 or SATA 2 interfaces as you are starting from scratch these are faster than ATA drives. But if you want to find out more use wikipedia it has good definitions of all these things.

With memory there is a fine balance between low latency memory and high capacity, the 2 GB sticks you picked have good latency themselves so i would get them they will last you longer than the really low latency 1gb sticks. It is a tricky pick because games love really low latencies but they also love bigger capacity.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
I think i was looking in the wrong places (IN referrence to the size of the samsung drives)... Does it matter that on the samsung drives they say they are for the PC3200.... when the processor says it is for a PC7200... not sure what this means... please clarify...

I really like that samsung 250GB SATA Drive... plus they are cheap for only $113.00..... WOW i paid $158.00 for the 160GB on this pc..

Is there any advantage If I were to use two of those samsung drives.... and would it help any... (IN America bigger is always better - it's a redneck complex :tazz: )

ON the memory I have found A Corsair that is a matched pair of 2GB with the same latency as the 1GB pair....

PS...

Motherboard and Processor arrived this morning from tigerdirect... GOD I CANT WAIT TILL ALL OF THE PIECES GET HERE.... TOTAL SO FAR $1092.00 - Budget left $1600. and that will put us at exactly half the price of the new ALIenware pc i WAS GONNA GET.

one more quick question.... in the Windows vista forum of this web site it says the maximum PC Specs needed for optimum performance on vista your pc will need a hard drive that spins at around 15,000 RPM. I was unable to find any hard drives at that speed.... the samsung that I spoke of earlier I couldn't find the RPM Speed on it... can you help out there...

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
New Mothger board in the box... waiting for all the pieces: Fatal1ty AN8-SLi Motherboard (Athlon 64/64FX, Socket 939, nForce4 SLI, ATX, 4GB DDR, 2000MHz FSB)

New Processor in the box... waiting for all the pieces: AMD Athlon 64 FX-55, 1MB, 2000MHz FSB, Socket 939.

The picture i ordered showed a red motherboard.... this one is ugly GReen (just like my old one).... What the.... OH WELL as long as it works....

KMA-Jay

KMA-Jay

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
as i must agree 4 gb is nice, but unless you are going to be running some major applacations i dont think it will be worth going over 2gb {4 sticks of 512mb} and i would also recomend OCZ ultra or preformance ram, they are both realy good, and worht the extra penny.
:tazz:

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
KMA... I was going to purchase the New latest and greates ALIENWARE Machine but the staffers here say we can build the same PC for half the price... so that is what we are doing... This NEW BUILD machine will be primarily used for gaming and movies and i would like to load Vista next year when it comes out and not have to worry about it running slow...

your opinion is appreciated and valued, so thanks.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well, a 15000RPM hard drive was really only a rough guide a good 7200rpm one that is what you and more other people are using is fine. I dont know why it is talking about memory speeds with the hard drive bit.
There is an advantage to using two drives as you can read from one and the write to the other this makes fast speeds if you mangae it so software reds from one drive and then writes to another and if you keep disc images for games it makes for fast instalation.

I thought all the fatality boards were red as well it should have red LEDS on the bottom and come with the dual OTES cooler and a ram cooler, as well as the fan controller check you received all these things to make sure they havent made a mistake and sent you the wrong thing.

KMA-Jay

KMA-Jay

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
oh ok cool. well i agree with that becuse alienware cost more than what it takes to make the same thing your self. also i notice you asked about running two sata drives. yes there is an advantage if you run them in RAID. it will boost how much data you can access off of them. it take the two drives and converts them into one big drive, then takes information u load and splits it into 2 peaces or more. and when you go to load it it reads both sets of information at the same time, with means loads faster. i have 2 30gb ide100 drives, when running indapendent they push about 56kb\sec reads. bout in a stripped raid i get around 89-92kb\s so it dose make a big improvement when loading big games like Battlefield 2. cuts my load time almost in half :-) your wanting speed then i would suggest going with the serial ata150 {SATA150} as they are a lot faster than the IDE drives, and scsi your motherboard dose not support unless you have an add on card. any help i can be just ask, i have mutiple resources and a few friends that biuld as well.

thanks
Jay

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
This is uncool warriorscot... :) this is not what i ordered. this motherboard is a asus.... What the....... no more ordering from tigerdirect....were gonna have to send it back now... good thing i dont have all the rest of the parts here or i would be very unfrinedly with tigerdirect...

KMA you mentioned my board does not support scsi??? whats this... Im getting confused again....will i be able to use dual drives, with my board (dont want add-on cards)???
You also mentioned using SATA150 for the dual drives am i able to do this on my board....

Im Lost now... :tazz: you guys keep it simple for me please...just tell me the best drive to use (single drive or dual drives) for the fastest speeds with a minimum of 200GB storage space.

Think of this as your own design, for building your own super fast computer that you would invite your not-so-hardware knoeldgable neighbor over to have him put together. :)

KMA-Jay

KMA-Jay

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
yes your motherbord dose not work with scsi drives.it dose work with sata drives. it dose support sata150 drives though, the sata means seriel ATA 150, you can get them from newegg at a resonable price. and in any gb you want. odd to hear you had a problem with tigerdirect. i use them alot for there sales, they usealy have sales on hard drives as well. i will look around and see what i can find you for a decent deal on a good hard drive.