Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ATI RADEON 9600 pro PROBLEM *HELP!*

• Please log in to reply

Rooo

Rooo

• Pip
  • 4 posts
This is what happened.

Since I felt in the mood, I opened my case and I cleaned my computer. I saw some dust behind the heatsink of my video card, so I decided to remove it. Since I was unsuccessful at removing all of the screws, I rescrewed them in, and blew out any dust I could.

I inserted it back into my computer and now certain icons, and things are garbled and have wierd pixelization. For example, tabs and icons. I noticed that a wierd bios check runs every time I boot up and my system is also a little sluggish.

My main problem are these garbled icons and stuff. I didnt expect to get any problems from cleaning my video card, I DIDNT DO ANYTHING! (I built this computer from the ground up, so I really didnt think I would mess it up).

Now im worried.

Any ideas would reallllly be appreciated

oh yea and I updated my drivers too. no dice.

Edited by Rooo, 13 August 2005 - 09:46 AM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Check it is inserted properly, you might have moved it even if you only undid some of the screws.

Remove the drivers, go to device manager, uninstall the video card, reboot, install the drivers

Rooo

Rooo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I removed it fully, then I replaced it. (I took it out and put it back in maybe 5 times).

I did as you said, and im back to where i started. However I realized somthing else.

As I boot up, it says my bios (fastrack or whatever) is searching for IDE drives, and then it says that no fast track drives are found. This never happened before the problem, and it does this every time I bootup.

Dont know if this helps.

Also to be more descriptive, my icons are distorted in patterns (it will have striped lines or a checkerboardish pannel of distorted pixels).

Edited by Rooo, 13 August 2005 - 11:49 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Unless the BIOS set up reverted to onboard graphics

sprout

sprout

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Reset the bios to defaults.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Which could include enabling onboards

sprout

sprout

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Since he said he built the system himself, I was under the impression there was no onboard graphics...is there? If there is, then yes Keith is correct...the two cards could be fighting over the same resource, which will cause problems. Check in your hardware profile in system settings and make sure there arent two instances of video.

Rooo

Rooo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I have an asus p4c800, Im pretty sure theres no onboard graphics. (I looked in the bios and couldnt find that).

Still doesnt work.

More info: Videos dont work and When i boot up, the searching for fasttrack screen says: "no drive attached to fastrack. No bios installed" (even though there is a bios to access)

Any more help would be appreciated, kinda worried.

And just to give me piece of mind, does anyone think that its not hardware related? Because I didnt do anything to it!

Edited by Rooo, 13 August 2005 - 02:46 PM.

Stasiek

Stasiek

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
what did you use to blow/remove the dust out?
have you used an antistatic wristband? zap!!

if you get the bios not there message, try to flash the bios if not already done

just my 2c

sprout

sprout

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Very true...static electricity very well could have blown the video card when you removed it. Though this doesnt happen very often, it can happen.

Rooo

Rooo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It was a humid day which almost rules out static electricity.

How do I "flash" my bios and what does that mean?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
http://www.pcmech.com/show/bios/81/

Deadly Silence

Deadly Silence

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i get the same thing as that and its really annoying i just brought my radeon 9600 pro 256 and the icons are messed up here is a link for a screenshot
Icons
hope this helps thanks