Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless network

• Please log in to reply

hoggle2000

hoggle2000

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Im just purchasing a new computer and have just bought a new laptop. The laptop has wi-fi capability and I would like to set it up so my PC and my laptop can use broadband via a wireless network.

I have not yet signed up to a provider nor do I have a wireless card in my PC so I am looking for some help on what to buy and what I need.

I am guessing I need a wireless card for my PC or perhaps one of those little wireless USB sticks (whichever works the best). Im guessing I also need a modem with the little antennas on. What do I need to look for? I intend to have a 1Mb service when I sort it out.

Advertisements

sprout

sprout

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Linksys makes some of the better products available to home users. I use the WRT54G wireless router. It has a built in firewall and is a full featured router and is pretty much plug and play unless you need to do any custom port forwarding, for which there is a very simple management console that loads in your web browser. My PC card is also an 802.11G...I dont remember the product number, but Linksys makes wireless networking kits that come with the router and a wireless card all in one.
There are a lot of manufacturers of wireless equipment, but Linksys has always been rock solid for any application I have used their products for... I have even used them in corporate settings for a quick fix and have usually ended up leaving them in place because they are so reliable and inexpensive. Hope this helps in your shopping.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
US robotics make the best router currently available then i would say it is probably belkin. I have heard some bad reports of linksys routers from friendss but i havent noticed a problem with it on the rare occasion i have used their routers. But it all goes with how easy it is to use day to day.

sprout

sprout

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
USR makes the best? really? or is this your opinion based on one peice of equipment?
Considering the alternatives...Cisco, which is hands down the best equipment made (though must be managed and there is a learning curve and massive expense)...which if you look at any newer Linksys equipment (within the past couple years) you will see Cisco is now part of Linksys...or rather the other way around...Cisco bought Linksys outright. If you are buying Linksys, you are buying Cisco, and Cisco sets the standards every other company tries to keep up with.
Take it for what its worth.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Reviews i wouldnt reccomend something like that on experience of a single unit that would be bad advice wouldnt it.
I havent heard good things about linksys but they have flooded the market with so many different routers no one i know has two the same. US robotics has come out on top in every recent article i have read, with phrases like "head and shoulders above the rest" and " best router i have ever seen".

hoggle2000

hoggle2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Cheers guys.

I guess something like this is ok seeing as how I need to connect my PC with a PCI card?

Belkin router + PCI card

or maybe if one of these two (not quite sure I can see the difference):
linksys router
Linksys router 2

I don't quite get the distinction between access points and the modem/router but I guess the former just extends the coverage right?

Also do I need a PCI card or would a wireless USB stick type thing be just as good?

Edited by hoggle2000, 14 August 2005 - 08:33 AM.