Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

please help with malware

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

beinkken

beinkken

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I recently had my computer hijacked. My desktop background changed to an all black screen and it says:

"Warning! Your computer might be infected with spyware or adware !!! Strange homepage, popups, loss of important data and unstable functioning are the sure signs that you are infected.

click here to get the latest spyware removal software.

your coputer is still vulnerable to new attacks."

back to the way i had them.

Edited by beinkken, 18 August 2005 - 10:01 PM.

Advertisements

Buckeye_Sam

Buckeye_Sam

Malware Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,019 posts
We can definitely help you, but first you need to help us. The first step in this process is to apply Service Pack 1a for Windows XP. Without this update, you're wide open to re-infection, and we're both just wasting our time.
Click here: http://www.microsoft...&DisplayLang=en
Apply the update, reboot, and post a fresh Hijack This log.

beinkken

beinkken

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I decided to format and reinstall - It's clean now and it was probably time I cleaned up lots of other stuff too.

thanks for the help, i'm sure I'll be back