Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

EXE files won't open correctly

• Please log in to reply

bupster1405

bupster1405

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
All of my .exe files won't open unles i specifically add what they open with. i've tried to create a file format but then my computer asks for a file association... how do i make that? ;) Please help if you know or have had this problem before. Thanks ~Chris
:tazz:

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Follow the steps:

1) Click Start, Run and type Command (not same cmd, cmd won't run because it is an exe; Command is a com file)
Type the following and then press Enter after typing each one:
cd\windows
copy regedit.exe regedit.com (again as .exe wont work we are make a .com copy)
regedit.com

2) Navigate to and select the following key:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT \ exefile \ shell \ open \ command
Double-click the (Default) value in the right pane
Delete the current value data, and then type:
"%1" %* [with quotes]
(ie., quote-percent-one-quote-space-percent-asterisk.)

3) Navigate to:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe
In the right-pane, set (default) to exefile.

4) Now .exe should be working. But, U might still have a trojan which caused the problem in the first place. Run a Virus Scan.
If U need help removing the trojan go to the Malware Removal Forums and start a new topic there.

bupster1405

bupster1405

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
My computer continually comes up with an error of running a dll as an app? i'm not sure what that means... Also it doesn't open with* very well when you right click on an item.

I believe this started when i accidentally clicked an exe file and hit * always open this type of file with* I'm not sure still how to fix it.. the Open with dialogue box freeses and i have to end task*

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Go to the following webpage: http://www.dougknox..../file_assoc.htm.

Download an open the fixes for .exe, .com and .bat.

As I told u before this problem is commanly caused by malware. So make a stop at the Malware Removal Forums too.

bupster1405

bupster1405

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks Dark ash but i'm going to download the spyware doctor, or hijackthis? stupid question where can i find hijackthis? downloading spyware doctor right now wit ha 56k modem... thanks

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
I already confirmed its going to be malware.
I'm just helping u get back ur .exe file assocciation, because the anti-malware won't run otherwise.
U should read these steps for help with Malware Removal:Link.
If u have any problems with malware removal go to the Malware Removal Forum.

bupster1405

bupster1405

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
i now have spyware doctor, system suite 5 (from VCOM) ad-aware Professional, and spybot search and destroy. I have to find a name and a serial code for the spyware doctor, but other than that what is my next step?
Can Anyone help me? Thanks~Chris

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
U should read these steps for help with Malware Removal:Link.
If u have any problems with malware removal go to the Malware Removal Forum.

bupster1405

bupster1405

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
My CD-RW won't let me get into it to look at the files on the cd. the only option that works is the open with a specific program. I cannot go to my computer and click open or explore and it let me see what's on the cd. I just double click and it doesn't do anything. I'm not sure wether it's a cd driver problem or an error in the registry again? Any help would be... Helpful..