Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

!HELP! Desktop Failure- only can use Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply

fariddeen

fariddeen

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey all,

Basically I am talking on behalf of my friend, who's pc is really messed up. He can't access Windows (xp) in normal mode and basically when he opens up Windows in Safe Mode he gets this problem where by he can't click on anything on the desktop, almost as if it was an image. Not even the start button is "clickable". I will just now try using the keyboard alone to try and access things; but im not sure if that'll work. The main issue is that my friend really just wants to save some crucial files he has on the computer, and right now hes trying to save them one by one on a thousand floppies, but instead i was telling that maybe if he can access some cd-burning software then the process will take less than half the time.

Please help as soon as you can. Remember, I can't get a hijackthis log because I need to see if Windows is accessible using the keyboard.

Advertisements

Dark_Side

Dark_Side

• PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
I hope you still have your XP CD. Save as much critical files as you can and reinstall windows.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
I wouldn't "reinstall" windows just yet. You should have your friend try to do a "repair". Go here and follow the instructions. You will need your XP disc.