Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Processors

• Please log in to reply

YRPNova

YRPNova

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok, a couple of years ago, there was pentium 4. At that time I understood the processors. It was basically P1 < P2 <P3 <P4 with celeron somewhere between P1 and P3. Now there's AMD, centrino, and Pentium D/M. Someone please tell me which is the best if they all had the same Ghz (You can take out AMD in this case). I'll ask the AMD question later when I understand more. Thank you.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
LOL

Centrino is a chip for notebooks/laptops

Pentium D is intels Dual Core lineup

Pentium M is intels Mobile lineup for notebooks/laptops also

Depends on what you want. Laptop or desktop

http://techupdate.zd...2912516,00.html

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Basically it is a very tricky business picking the right cpu, if you tell us the use though we can reccomend you the best cpu for the job.

YRPNova

YRPNova

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I normally run a lot of programs on my computer so I need fast CPU. I'm only buying desktops now because my laptop is F*ed up whenever it overworks or something. It just turns off without shutting down or anything. I'd prefer a 64 bit for future OS upgrades. Basically, fast = best in my case, unless there's another property of CPUs that I don't know.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Look into the dual core amd's. They are great.

You will be happy i have tried them out.

Edited by jrm20, 13 August 2005 - 06:03 PM.

YRPNova

YRPNova

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Well, I was going to get to that. It seems Pentium D would be the only with dual cores (64 bit) [I am right?]. I don't know how to tell how fast an AMD is because it doesn't show the GHz. And since Pentium D came out later, it must be better than AMD. So AMD 64 vs Pentium D which is better?

Btw, I thank the admin for having the email notice, I have msn and I get notified when there's a reply ^_^

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Intel and Amd both have the dual core technology.

I like intel and amd both, my personal pc is intel but if you go dual core get an amd athlon 64 x2.

http://www.newegg.co...and&Order=price

the other cpu is stacked ontop of the other, Dual core.

starting at $425.00 for the cpu and it is totally worth it im serious. I will be getting a 64 X2 next.

Edited by jrm20, 13 August 2005 - 06:16 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
The 3800+ 64 bit x2 was at the bottom of the page its $425

4200+ 64 bit x2 is $483

YRPNova

YRPNova

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Can you just put any Processor into any computer? I heard that the motherboard and power might not support it so it's better to buy a new one.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You need to antch the motherboard to the cpu as the socket types very they usually increase over time. At the moment for AMD it is socket 939, you defenately want to try and get an X2 they are the dogs bollocks. You need to get a sufficeintly powerful and high quality psu to power a new system as well you will be looking anything over 480W from reliable manufacturer. Also for telling the speed the cpus are rated by whats called an intel equivalency level, it basically means that the 4800+ x2 is equivalent to a 4.8Ghz intel pentium 4 which doesnt exist, the 4800+ will also overclock a fair bit to an equivalency of something in the range of a 5000+ to 5200+ with decent cooling of course. Also the AMD cpus have a more true 64bit architecture the intel cpus its just kind of tacked on as an after thought and doesnt operate 64bit apps and os to the same level as the amds are capable of.

So you will have to get a new motherboard and PSU and a new case with120mm fans would be a good idea while you are at it.

Advertisements

YRPNova

YRPNova

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Awww, that's a lot. You know where they sell one in stores with the whole computer? I don't want to buy parts and then find out they're not compatible and then refund them all. I can't buy anything online either. Also, another question about bits. A computer that has 64 bit runs a normal 32 bit with 2.4 Ghz, if you used a 64 bit compatible OS and run the program on the same computer, it would be like working twice as fast?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
what is your price range for a pc fully built with the dual core amd processor?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
I think a pc already built is good for you then if your worried about parts not working.

http://www.tigerdire...sp?Base=1480594

You can customize the pc yourself and they will build it.

I recommend atleast 1 gig of memory. Do not get just 512MB ram you will be sorry. 1 gb of ram is good but 2 gb is better.

Upgrade to the better video card if you game.

This is a really good deal and it will be a good pc. I almost forgot, you can order from them by their telephone number.

Dell has dual core intel pc's but i dont like dell and the price would be alot more than this.

YRPNova

YRPNova

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

what is your price range for a pc fully built with the dual core amd processor?

View Post

$2000 or less

jrm20, that's pretty cool but I don't like to buy stuff online. Is there any store that could possibly have this (for cheap if possible) I'm not looking for big HDs because I have my own. Just a good processor and I'll add the Video Card and stuff.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
There isnt any places, maybe custom pc places in your area you would have to look yourself and most custom pc places try to get as much money as possible. Alot tend to double the price on all of their parts.

If you dont like buying online and want seperate parts that doesnt leave alot of options.

Only custom pc shops, they can order the items for you and put it together if you want.

Edited by jrm20, 13 August 2005 - 09:23 PM.