Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

An illegal operation?!

• Please log in to reply

Flashoreek

Flashoreek

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Ok so here is what my friend is having problems with her Windows 98.

This is what she has told me: "When I go to My computer or Internet, it won't let me. Then this popup appered and It says:

"This program has performed an illegal opereation and will be shut down, if the problem persists, contact the program vendor."

So, I clicked close but this other popup says "An error occured while with Explorer. If this problem contuinues, Restart your computer."

My friend is really eager to fix this and I'm trying to help her out a little, too. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! ;)

Oh and also here is the error message details:

EXPLORER caused an invalid page fault in
module <unknown> at 0000:00477de9.
Registers:
EAX=018ae039 CS=017f EIP=00477de9 EFLGS=00010a92
EBX=00000100 SS=0187 ESP=018ae07c EBP=018ae09b
ECX=0000000e DS=0187 ESI=03f7bb5c FS=9e97
EDX=0000000d ES=0187 EDI=018ae0dc GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
00 01 00 10 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Stack dump:
bfb9ab76 00000388 00000001 018ae0dc 00000001 00000001 0

Thanks again! :tazz:

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
When you start your computer after you upgraded Internet Explorer, you may receive one of the following error messages:
Explorer: This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.

To resolve the issue, change the Shell= line in the System.ini file to Shell=explorer.exe. To do this, use the following steps:
1. Click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Notepad.
2. On the File menu, click Open.
3. In the File name box, type c:\windows\system.ini, and then click Open.
4. Click Search, and then click Find.
5. In the Find what box, type shell=, and then click Find Next.
6. Type a semi-colon {;} at the beginning of the Shell= line, and then create a new line.
7. On the new line, type shell=explorer.exe, click Save on the File menu.
8. Restart your computer. Click No if you receive the following prompt:
Your system shell has changed. The Compaq software will work with your new shell, but the new shell will not work with your Compaq software. Do you want to keep your Compaq software working?

Or you can goto Microsoft Support

I hope this help, if anymore problems you know where to come

Edited by spike_hacker_inc, 13 August 2005 - 02:33 PM.

Flashoreek

Flashoreek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Oh darn it all! :tazz:

Still she is having problems on the 2nd step.

This is what she said: "When I opened notepad I saw a little bit, then it went off ...like a light just went off"

I am losing hopes for this computer! ;)

Any help would be good.

Thanks.

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Bro dont loose hope, try here they give you more in detail what your problem is, (http://support.micro...com/kb/q237888/) so do you mean her computer just goes off power or just monitor, explain... What light went off?

Edited by spike_hacker_inc, 13 August 2005 - 02:49 PM.

Flashoreek

Flashoreek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Well, I have no idea how to explain this because my friend says that the error message just appeared after July 16th. She explains that one day when I wanted to use wordpad it just went blank and shut down. She also says that she has not downloaded anything or install any new applications when this error message appeared. Also, look closely at the <unknown> part. I don't think it's a shell32.dll problem or a Kernel32.dll problem. The details says that it's <unknown> application and the module number.

I don't know how to explain this further.

Thanks.

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts

Well, I have no idea how to explain this because my friend says that the error message just appeared after July 16th. She explains that one day when I wanted to use wordpad it just went blank and shut down. She also says that she has not downloaded anything or install any new applications when this error message appeared. Also, look closely at the <unknown> part. I don't think it's a shell32.dll problem or a Kernel32.dll problem. The details says that it's <unknown> application and the module number.

I don't know how to explain this further.

Thanks.

View Post

ok i have search and everything it must of been something when she was trying to update her internet explorer becasue that where it seems the error is coming from

Ok try this (http://support.micro...om/?kbid=298343)if that doesnt work let me know

Flashoreek

Flashoreek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Ok, I think all of this non-sence links to her internet. This is what she gets when trying to access her Internet properties:

"An error occured while windows was working with the Control Panel file C:\\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\INETCPLCPL"

Whatever that means :tazz:

Thanks for your support.

Edited by Flashoreek, 13 August 2005 - 06:12 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
To eliminate a couple of things, boot the PC and keep tapping F8 right after the beep until you get options, select command prompt only, type scanreg.exe /fix then press enter, it will run through a few screens then say registry repaired. Press enter then press ctrl + alt + delete keys together to reboot.

When it has loaded, click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools, system information, tools then run system file checker and replace any files it asks for from the 98SE CD.

Running these checks the registry and files for Windows are in place.