Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What The Heck Is Going On Here!?!?!?

• Please log in to reply

alk3freak

alk3freak

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I think I need help really bad..... I don't know if it's a virus or what, I'm thinking it has to be but here's what's been going on....

Earlier today, I was on my "new" computer (I say new although it's 4-5 months old, but I have another computer that is really old and outdated)and it was going sooooo slow. I'm talking a 3Ghz processor and 512MB ram. It was making my old 500Mhz and 128MB ram computer look like speed racer. I was getting pop up's like no other. I did 4 Ad-aware scans and each time it caught around 60 items. I did a virus scan with Norton and it didn't detect any viruses, only adware. So I decided to get a second opinion and do an online virus scan with Trend Micro's House Call. Well before the thing would even scan, I'd get an error message saying "reboot to clean the trojan." I'm thinking 'what the [bleep] it hasn't even scanned anything yet' and started the scan over. Same thing, I'd get the message and it wouldn't scan. Well after a few hours of this I started getting really irritated so I rebooted into safe mode and ran Norton and Ad-aware again. Still no viruses dectected. So I reboot again in normal mode, and then the internet wouldn't work. I have DSL and all it kept saying was "limited or no activity" which is funny considering the computer I am typing this post from is connected to the same internet and it is working fine. Then I noticed that my recycle bin keeps saying it is full, so I open it and there is nothing in it. When I click to empty it, it still shows it's full. The last thing I noticed was that the Auto Protect feature for Norton was disabled. I checked to make sure the correct startup programs were checked, and I checked "enable auto protect" on Norton, but it's still not working right. I don't know if all these are related, but these are all things I have been noticing.

I don't know what is going on or what I should do. I can not connect to the internet on the newer computer so I can't try another online scan. The ironic thing is that that computer has all the protection (firewall, Norton Auto Protection....etc) and I"m having so many problems with spyware/adware....and the computer I'm on now has no protection whatsoever and I haven't had any problems.

Last thing....the computer is all up to date with the Windows Updates. PLEASE HELP!!! I really don't want to have to reformat.

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Let us take a closer look at what is running on your PC. We'll need you to use a free diagnostic tool (HiJackThis) and post a log back here with the results.

Click the HijackThis Guide in my signature, download it and follow the instructions in the guide.

Most of what it lists will be harmless or even essential, DO NOT delete or modify anything yet! Someone will be along to tell you what steps to take after you post the contents of the scan results.

-=jonnyrotten=-