Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless network connection problems

• Please log in to reply

geek-wanna-be

geek-wanna-be

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Based on the many items I'm finding online, looks like my problem is a familiar one. I have a new Verizon DSL service. Provided with a Westell VersaLink 327W router/modem combo. I bought a Linksys Wireless-G network adapter, and attempted to establish my wireless network of 2 desktops.

Remarkably, my initial set up went OK. 24 hours later, lost network connection. I since learned about this problem identified in earlier XP system, but my NEW DELL COMPUTERS have XP SP2 - which is supposed to have this fixed.

I've gone thru tech support with Verizon and Linksys, and someone considered to be expert with Microsoft products. In the past few days, have managed to get an Internet connection twice .... only to lose it again overnight.

If I use wireless zero configuration utility, connection is made but results in message that says "limited or no connectivity to Internet". Using the repair feature not successful.

I did try changing to the Linksys wireless network monitor. That way I also can manage to eventually show a full strength connection, but it won't connect to Internet at all.

I am a real novice about hardware and system configurations. And about to give up and go back to two stand-alone internet connections. HELP!!!

Advertisements

SoccerDad

SoccerDad

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
Hi geek-wanna-be and welcome to Geeks To Go!

First thing we want to check is power management on your radio. Sometimes, these fellas will install with sleep/suspend mode on. If you leave the machine for a while (ie overnite), the cards will hibernate. Let's look there first, and if that's not it, we'll look a little deeper:

Right click on My Computer --> Properties --> Hardware --> Device Manager

Look for your wireless card (most likely under Network Adapters), right click on it, then click on properties. We're looking for anything that has to do with suspend, idle power down, sleep, etc. Uncheck or turn off anything related to this, OK all the way back out and reboot.

Lemme know how this goes.
ttysoon, SD

geek-wanna-be

geek-wanna-be

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the reply - I appreciate any and all suggestions.

Setting was "wake on magic & directed" on host; corresponding setting on client.

I tried changing settings in various combos ---
"disabled" on host, no change to client
"disabled" on host, "disabled" on client
"no change on host", "disabled on client"

Did reboot after each reset above; walked thru steps to check network connections, check wireless zero config running, repair, etc. Same results. "Limited or no connectivity to Internet" when using XP. When try using the Linksys network monitor, shows full connection is supposed to be there -- but when I try to open Internet it only permits offline.

Under power management, I spotted option to "allow the computer to turn off device to save power". I turned this off on both desktops for the momment as well.

My host desktop is running Windows XP Professional. The desktop I'm trying to keep connected via wireless (and, yes, for now, only for purpose of sharing Internet - not for file or printer sharing) is running Windows XP Home.

Any other suggestions? Thanks again.