Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

just installed McAfee virus scan

• Please log in to reply

meryl

meryl

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:tazz: Hi, I just installed McAfee Virus scan ( forced by comcast) and when I log on now it will ask me if I want to grant particular files entry. The deal is that I have no idea what these files are?? Can anyone tell what
C:\\windows\system32\msCMTsrvc.exe is? Should this be blocked? Is there an easier way to go about this?

Thanks, meryl
;)

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
msCMTSrvc is called the Content Monitoring Tool Service (CMTS). and it is from Compaq. The Compaq Offer Zone, displayed on the desktop as the Hot Deals icon, uses the CMTS to update the computer when new merchandise is available for purchase by the user.

So, if donot want ads from Compaq, block it.

If u donot want it, a permanent solution will be to disable it, follow steps below to disable it:
Click Start, Run and type Services.msc. Press enter
Locate the service named Content Monitoring Tools from the list, and double-click it.
Set the service StartupType to Disabled .
Stop the service.

meryl

meryl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
awesome -thank you so much!

meryl