Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Recording Trouble - Can't Hear Playback

• Please log in to reply

redleaf

redleaf

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I've been trying to set up a little home studio on my pc. I have the mic, jack converter for my guitar cable, some software -- and I can record the first track no problem.

The trouble comes when I try to overdub vocals. When I plug in my mic and switch over to "Digital Output Only" (if I don't check this, the mic just squeals horribly) , I lose my ability to hear the track I just laid down.

Obviously that makes it very hard to overdub anything.

A friend said the problem might be with my graphics card. Do some graphics cards have that type of limitation? My card is a SoundBlaster Live 5.1 with the Creative EMU10k1 Audio Processor (WDM).

My speakers are Boston stereo speakers with a woofer down below. I think they may be analogue? Not sure about them as they were a hand-me-down.

Advertisements

sprout

sprout

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
This wouldnt involve your graphics card...Soundblaster is a sound card.
What program are you using?

redleaf

redleaf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Sprout? Cool name.

I tried Cakewalk, Cool Edit Pro and Acoustica. Even being a total rookie, it doesn't make sense to me that it would be a sound card issue. A lot of friends have set up little home studios on their pcs with out having to buy any special kind of card for their audio.

This message did pop up early on saying my system/hardware didn't support playing music back while recording. I haven't seen it since.