Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Printer Problems

• Please log in to reply

Afrogoat

Afrogoat

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi Ladies and Gents,

I have just purchased a USB all in one Printer and USB memory stick when i place the devices into the computer ports the computer detects the devices ie says "flash drive found" and "hp2610"(printer) but wont intall the devices even when running through the process its just says that the drivers cannot be found. I am running Windows XP and using the ports at the back of the computer. As i understand the USB memory stick shouldnt require drivers and should be plug and play. ANy Help would be very much appreciated!

Thanks in Advance

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
What version of XP are you using?

Afrogoat

Afrogoat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
windows xp Home sp1 fully updated except for the SP2 update

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
If you open Device manager, are there any yellow question marks in your Universal Serial Bus controllers? If there are, you probably need to update to SP2. But first, you could try this... go to Start/run and type in chkdsk /f This will make XP check itself and fix any errors it finds. Windows may grumble and ask if you want to run it at next start up... just say yes, and restart your computer. Note, remove the new printer and the usb stick before you run this.

After your computer finishes running chkdsk, try reconnecting your new devices one at a time and see if they work. Let me know what happens.

Afrogoat

Afrogoat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Having done all suggested it still wont install the printer it recognises its there but then says the Required .INF is not available. i cant understand quite whats gone wrong and why i cant install any USB devices With the computer i didnt even get a restore disk so i cant try a re install it wont even recognise my monitor now in the vga slot it brings up the install new hardware screen each time even though its plug and play

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
I think WIN 2000 XP has a BIOS setting for [PLUG & PLAY] - Is there any chance that it has been changed to [DISABLED]??

Jack123

Afrogoat

Afrogoat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Already tried that its set to enabled

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Did the printer come with drivers? XP may not have the drivers required to install the printer. If you have the printer driver cd, just run it and see if you can install the drivers. If you need updated drivers, go HERE

What kind of USB flash drive is it? Did it also come with any drivers? Perhaps XP doesn't natively support that either.

Don't know what's up with your monitor now. Try checking device manager for any red question marks or yellow exclamation marks.

Edited by makai, 15 August 2005 - 04:16 PM.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Topic: New Printer Problem
Date: 15th AUG- 2005

Lets try to install the 2 devices again – (1 at a time):

(1) – Do not connect either device
(2) – Install PRINTER DRIVER – (Latest)
(3) – Restart Computer – (Windows will install driver)
(4) – Connect Printer to USB Port & turn ON
(5) – Plug & Play should: Find New Hardware & install

(6) – Install Flash Drive - Driver - (Latest)
(7) – Restart Computer – (Windows will install driver)
(8) – Connect FLash Drive to USB Port
(9) – PLUG & PLAY should: FIND New Hardware & Install

It is assumed that Printer & Flash Drive Software have already been installed. The order of installing Driver & connecting USB devices is important – for PLUG & PLAY to function...

USB Drivers are WINDOWS INSTALLED & Need to INITIALLY be INSTALLED 1st before PLUG & PLAY starts looking - - then on subseqent STARTS it doesn't matter

PLUG & PLAY has a Driver that is searching for a new hardware - -

NOT

Hardware searching for a Driver.

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 15 August 2005 - 04:54 PM.