Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Uninstall XP

• Please log in to reply

claybin

claybin

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm trying to uninstall XP on a Dell 2400 and do a reinstall due to spyware/adware problems. The Dell came with XP SP1 preinstalled. I upgraded to SP2 from the Microsoft website. When I try to use the Dell XP CD to do a clean install, it won't work telling me I have a newer version of XP (due to SP2 I assumed). When I tried to use the Control Panel to remove SP2, it comes back with a message saying "Bosnian is selected as the language for standards and formats, or for non-Unicode programs. This language is not supported prior to XP SP2. Please see Readmesp.htm to select a different language." I never selected any language during SP2 installation download, so I don't know where this came from. I can't find a Readmesp.htm file, and when I checked the language settings in XP it seems everything is set for English. Is there a way around this other than doing C:\ drive reformat?

Advertisements

GeneralAres

GeneralAres

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
When you boot with the recovery CD, does it give you an option to delete partitions and format the drive? This would be the only way to do a proper clean install.

claybin

claybin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The machine won't reboot from any of the Dell provided CD's. The DOS screen message says hit F1 to try again. When I hit F1 the same message repeats. The procedure I was using to do the clean reinstall was inserting the reinstall Dell CD while I was already in XP and then selecting the reinstall prompt on the CD. This was when I got the message that XP SP1 couldn't be reinstalled due to the newer version of XP.

GeneralAres

GeneralAres

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Dell should have provided you with a recovery CD that is bootable. Check your BIOS settings and make sure CDROM is selected first for booting. Then try the CDs again. If you cannot locate a bootable CD, you will need to borrow a Windows XP CD, either Pro or Home (I'm guess you have XP Home) and use your Windows ID Number.

claybin

claybin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the help, GeneralAres. I've set the BIOS settings for CD booting, and I've tried two different DELL CD's which should have been bootable, their Reinstallation CD and their Drivers and Utilities CD, neither of which boot. Still no luck. I guess I'll have to somehow teach the machine to speak Bosnian.

GeneralAres

GeneralAres

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
:tazz: Try calling DELL and if you have no luck with them borrow an XP CD from a friend. It has to be the full CD not a recovery disk.